Firm closing

finlo

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not to mention the possibility of trading whilst insolvent.

Indeed, and furthermore, the temptation to stick your head in the sand and do so when the only immediate alternative is to throw in the towel, sack everyone and, in extremis, lose your house. Never quite done that, but once came close.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was in the colby Glen pub a couple of weeks back on a Saturday afternoon I'd walked there from Douglas with a mate, stopped in for a pint and to watch a bit of the rugby. Was dead 1 other person was in the pub. Not sure if this is the norm or not but sad to see a village pub empty on a Saturday afternoon 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I was in the colby Glen pub a couple of weeks back on a Saturday afternoon I'd walked there from Douglas with a mate, stopped in for a pint and to watch a bit of the rugby. Was dead 1 other person was in the pub. Not sure if this is the norm or not but sad to see a village pub empty on a Saturday afternoon 

Perhaps it was because the rugby was being shown on a big screen in Castletown Square? A couple of mates of mine from Douglas jumped on the bus to Castletown to watch some rugby a couple of weekends ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Was it a sunny Saturday afternoon when the rugby was on a big outdoor screen a few minutes down the road?

Try again in winter when the fire is lit.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Been quiet for a whilst. I remember used to need to book in advance for food there on a weekend. Brewery have been killing the trade , one pub at a time whilst free house seem to be doing ok

hoPefully this will reverse its fortunes 

23 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Been quiet for a whilst. I remember used to need to book in advance for food there on a weekend. Brewery have been killing the trade , one pub at a time whilst free house seem to be doing ok

hoPefully this will reverse its fortunes 

The food in there has been superb for several months now, possibly longer but we only discovered it in the summer.

IMG_8021.jpeg

• Like 3

Gef now has the story of the Colby Glen tenancy, clearly taken from a Brewery press release as chunks of it are in that peculiar version of English that only ever appears in press releases:

Shri Naik, from Kurries and Steaks, is set to take the helm at The Colby Glen as Okell’s continues its expansion of its tenancy estate.

This is the second pub that Heron and Brearley has put up for tenancy this year, with The Central in Ramsey being taken over by Paulette and Emma Bevan-Kelly.

Steven Taylor, managing director of Okells Inns, said: ‘We eagerly anticipate witnessing the Colby Glen thrive under Shri’s capable stewardship.

‘With a dedicated following across the island, Shri’s journey of success enters an exciting new chapter with the Colby.’

He added that whilst he expects another managed pub put up for tenancy to generate conversations across the island, he believes it’s the correct call for the business.

He said: ‘We are mindful that the transition of another managed pub to tenancy will generate discussion throughout the island. However, a vibrant tenancy estate combined with a quality managed pub portfolio only enhances the variety of pubs available to the Isle of Man.

‘This strategic approach has been at the forefront of my vision since joining Okells Inns as managing director last year and, I sincerely hope that the residents of our island will rally behind these entrepreneurs at the Colby Glen, the Central in Ramsey and any future operators, to sustain a strong hospitality sector for our island.’

The current management team at The Colby Glen, Natalie and Adrian Hugo, are set to take charge of the George Hotel in Castletown.

As John said (and as the above confirms) the Brewery has been offering tenancies and then getting rid of the tenants in cycles over the years.  It's clearly at the stage when H&B realise they are useless at running pubs and get in people who know what they are doing.  Then they'll see how much money the tenants are making, get greedy, and the whole thing will start again.

Still I'm sure they will be pleased they have "generated conversations".

• Like 2