Firm closing

finlo

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Shoprite isnt dire, yes it has some limitations but we have always patronised it as much as we could. The important thing is that it offered a choice,  an alternative.  I dont want just tesco.

It's a very sad day for all the island.  

Get an allotment.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, kevster said:

I'm another one who has onjly set foot in Tesco once - can't stand the company.

My cash will go to the Co-Op in future

I only really go into Tesco’s once a year for my Xmas Turkey and a few bits and pieces. CoOp gets most of my business . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Shoprite isnt dire, yes it has some limitations but we have always patronised it as much as we could. The important thing is that it offered a choice,  an alternative.  I dont want just tesco.

It's a very sad day for all the island.  

There still is M&S, Co-op, Spar and Howard's (;)).   I have tried to patronise it as Vic Rd is really close to me, but it is expensive and has a limited range. I reckon a weekly shop in there would be at least about 20% more expensive than the same at Tesco.  For what? So I can feel all fuzzy having added to the dividend for the owners?  It certainly won't be for superior quality or shopping experience.  

Have to say the staff in there are lovely (as they are in Tesco) and I wish them all the best.  

• Like 6

So, Tesco intend to buy Shoprite? It doesn't surprise me in the least because on 21 March 1997, Tesco announced the purchase of the retail arm of Associated British Foods, which consisted of the Quinnsworth, Stewarts and Crazy Prices chains in Ireland and Northern Ireland, and associated businesses, for £640 million.

8 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Sure you must have been wealthy to have been able to afford to shop at Shoprite. But I cannot imagine being rich enough to only shop at the Co-Op.

One person household so my weekly shop isn’t big. 

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The important thing is that it offered a choice,  an alternative.

Shoprite tried hard enough for long enough to put everyone else out of business. Object to everything.

Tesco almost certainly have better ethics.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

So where is this fuel depot now? Did they really spend millions to then not use it? Makes zero sense 

It is still there, but as to who now owns it now--?  have a look on Googly earth, it's the big ball shaped installation.

6 hours ago, Chie said:

Shoprite were way overpriced. Tesco, while lacking in selection these days, still gives me 2-3 bags of shopping for £30 as opposed to Shoprites 1 bag.

I just wish they would let Asda over here. For some reason Manx people have a fetish for Lidl. Having escaped the rock at one point for a few years, Asda is where it’s at. 

Who is the “they” that are not letting Asda over here?

• Like 1

I will be shopping in the Coop and M& S when Tesco take over I do a split shop now I have been to Tesco and the items I buy were more expensive than Shoprite  I expect it is swings and roundabouts , pet food was cheaper at Shoprite and coffee.  Being retired I have time to shop around and compare prices and M&S soup and biscuits take some beating.    I feel sorry for the people who are going to lose their jobs and the local firms that sell through Shoprite it is a sad day indeed.   The next thing is Tesco will be going self service and more people will lose their jobs.