Firm closing

finlo

Probably already mentioned on here but I also notice all the Lloyds Pharmacies are closing periodically to become Clear Pharmacy.

I do wonder if Tesco will look to bring some of its concessions over such as Tesco Mobile (they already sell SIMs), Opticians and Pharmacy?

19 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Remember, you are (probably) not an employee, so don't use the 'self service' tills.

It’s getting almost impossible to do that in some places. Only two none self service tills left in B&Q. When they go I won’t be shopping there. Might as well buy online if I have to do everything myself. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s getting almost impossible to do that in some places. Only two none self service tills left in B&Q. When they go I won’t be shopping there. Might as well buy online if I have to do everything myself. 

People keep using them - forced almost - so retailers keep putting more in.

REBEL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

People keep using them - forced almost - so retailers keep putting more in.

REBEL

I’ve given up using them in the CoOp.

The most sensitive scales on them, ‘Please remove item from bagging area’ followed by ‘Please wait for assistance’ multiple times through a brief shop. Most frustrating.

• Like 2

Isle of Man Enterprise Plc, who own(ed) Shoprite, were probably one of the worst retailers out there. They made a massive mistake in trying to move into Scotland and weren't able to pay a dividend to their shareholders since. 

The stores had no real identity, stocking cheap Iceland stuff next to Waitrose (replaced with Sainsburys). They never went for a certain type of customer as M&S and Tesco do, they tried to cater for everyone and failed. The footfall in their main Victoria Road Shop was abismal and was probably being supported by their busier shops in Ramsey, Port Erin and Peel.

Isle of Man Enterprise is most likely doing the right thing selling the Shoprite business, but keeping ownership of the stores, at least the shareholders can sit back and receive a rent from long Leases rather than have all the hassle of trying (and failing) to run a dated supermarket chain.

I doubt that Tesco will keep all stores going. Nine or ten Tesco stores for our small Island population is most likely a bit much.

41 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Probably already mentioned on here but I also notice all the Lloyds Pharmacies are closing periodically to become Clear Pharmacy.

I do wonder if Tesco will look to bring some of its concessions over such as Tesco Mobile (they already sell SIMs), Opticians and Pharmacy?

Walking past the pharmacy on the Terrace this morning and a clear pharmacy sign was being put up

For those saying 10 stores is too many, it is, but I can speak for an area where I have family in the NW of England.

In an area of I’d say 3 square miles they have two full size Tescos and three Tesco Express stores.

The population is probably much denser - mentally too - but it’s not unheard of.

I can see both Ramsey stores surviving. Port Erin, Castletown, Douglas Vic Road OR Onchan (not both) and maybe one in Peel.

54 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I’ve given up using them in the CoOp.

The most sensitive scales on them, ‘Please remove item from bagging area’ followed by ‘Please wait for assistance’ multiple times through a brief shop. Most frustrating.

It's the same with Coops in the UK. Irritating when virtually every swipe across the scanner either fails to read the barcode or the bagging area thinks you're trying to knick something.

Edited by Andy Onchan

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I would say that a single Iceland (with fresh produce) unit would do well in one location (Onchan?). So having empty units keeps any competitors at bay. 

Isn’t fresh produce kind of against the Iceland principle? :)

I can see them being pushed to enable Robinsons to take on a store for local produce maybe??

Edited by NoTailT