Firm closing

finlo

So much is wrong with the local shopping system that should offer real opportunities for local businesses.  I recently had to collect a prescription for a relative, and had to go physically to 3 different chemists across Douglas to get the items and wait in a queue at each one to find out they did not have stock of items. Surely if a prescription is made out it could go direct to a central processing hub and arrive in the evening post. Why is it that post gets delivered to homes during the day when few people are in, why not do deliveries in the evening or to local hubs so items ordered in the morning can be delivered later on in the day? 

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Surely the future of grocery retail is online with last mile delivery from local hubs, we already buy many staples like ground coffee, tooth brushes, toothpaste, razor blades, shampoo etc from Amazon, seems bizarre that Tesco have taken on a 21 year lease for physical stores, when that is so obviously not the future of retail.

I think you are wrong. The future of retail is multiple small outlets, such as Coop, where you bug your fresh goods. Hence the reason for multiple Tesco Express shops and close some large shops, as I said earlier. 

Interestingly, I think this is an ideal opportunity for local producers and possibly Robinsons to work together and create more outlets. Robinsons already have two, and the produce and variety is great. Also, not mentioned on here before (I think) but that Asian supermarket on Strand Street is brilliant! 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Also, not mentioned on here before (I think) but that Asian supermarket on Strand Street is brilliant! 

I had a look round in there when they first opened and I agree, it looks pretty good. My only complaint was that many things (and everything i might have bought) were yet to have a price displayed so I didn't buy anything as my funds were a bit tight that day. I'll be back in next time I'm in Douglas and hopefully they'll have priced things by then. 

ETA yes I could have asked but the fella behind the counter was busy and I didn't have a lot of time. 

Edited by Zarley
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Probably already mentioned on here but I also notice all the Lloyds Pharmacies are closing periodically to become Clear Pharmacy.

I do wonder if Tesco will look to bring some of its concessions over such as Tesco Mobile (they already sell SIMs), Opticians and Pharmacy?

List of sites here:

https://www.clearpharmacy.im/store-finder/

There are now 3 Lloyds listed:

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/store-locator

• The Parade, Castletown, UK, IM9 1LG

• Shoprite Victoria Road, Douglas, UK, IM2 4RE

• Bowring Road, Ramsey, UK, IM8 2LL

Edited by newaccount

Just heard Martin Brunchsweiller on radio saying that without shoprite stocking products during Covid they would probably not have survived, also Fynodree gin saying how great they’ve been for them as well. There’s no doubt there could be job losses in local suppliers if Tesco don’t keep contracts. Then if no local supplant boat doesn’t sail for a few days then we know what will happen, panic buying of everything!!!

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Just heard Martin Brunchsweiller on radio saying that without shoprite stocking products during Covid they would probably not have survived, also Fynodree gin saying how great they’ve been for them as well. There’s no doubt there could be job losses in local suppliers if Tesco don’t keep contracts. Then if no local supplant boat doesn’t sail for a few days then we know what will happen, panic buying of everything!!!

Yes Bushys must sell a shed load via Shoprite. Really hope Tesco can take this on. Out of interest are these products stocked anywhere else other than Shoprite?

11 minutes ago, newaccount said:

List of sites here:

https://www.clearpharmacy.im/store-finder/

There are now 3 Lloyds listed:

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/store-locator

• The Parade, Castletown, UK, IM9 1LG

• Shoprite Victoria Road, Douglas, UK, IM2 4RE

• Bowring Road, Ramsey, UK, IM8 2LL

Better opening hours, for Village Walk at least.