Firm closing

finlo

21 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I think you are wrong. The future of retail is multiple small outlets, such as Coop, where you bug your fresh goods. Hence the reason for multiple Tesco Express shops and close some large shops, as I said earlier. 

Interestingly, I think this is an ideal opportunity for local producers and possibly Robinsons to work together and create more outlets. Robinsons already have two, and the produce and variety is great. Also, not mentioned on here before (I think) but that Asian supermarket on Strand Street is brilliant! 

How am I wrong? I like many my age already buy groceries online, why would I want to trudge round a shop which may or may not have stock of the items I want?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newaccount said:

List of sites here:

https://www.clearpharmacy.im/store-finder/

There are now 3 Lloyds listed:

https://lloydspharmacy.com/pages/store-locator

• The Parade, Castletown, UK, IM9 1LG

• Shoprite Victoria Road, Douglas, UK, IM2 4RE

• Bowring Road, Ramsey, UK, IM8 2LL

It’s all of them on Island. Anagh, Port Erin, the lot.

21 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Yes Bushys must sell a shed load via Shoprite. Really hope Tesco can take this on. Out of interest are these products stocked anywhere else other than Shoprite?

I once bought bottles of Bushys in Tesco in Wick (Scotland). They had a whole section of Indie beers and so on with a 4 for £10 offer thing.

This was maybe 4-5years ago?

15 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

How am I wrong? I like many my age already buy groceries online, why would I want to trudge round a shop which may or may not have stock of the items I want?

In 2022, the percentage of users purchasing food and groceries online was 11.6 percent, a decrease compared to the previous year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NoTail said:

One positive is that those annoying Shoprite adverts on MR will disappear. On the other hand MR will go to the government for more money as a result. 

This is getting positively ridiculous, all the whinging, wailing, gnashing of teeth. The CoC have stuck their two pennerth in. Did any other business express an interest of taking the business off Shoprites hands? Why didn’t a CoC business buy it? It’s quite ironic really that IOMG and others did so much to prevent Tesco from both expanding Lake Road, least of all opening smaller stores. No they are pleading beyond belief on behalf of food suppliers etc. If Shoprite wasn’t bought out by Tesco, and its buildings kept, could Shoprite have experienced financial difficulties? What would IOMG and the CoC have done? No doubt thrown £ms at the problem. 

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I am guessing if Tesco hadn't bought Shoprite then Shoprite would have gone under 

Maybe. Personally speaking I’ve been in the Victoria Road store and at times it’s dead. I’ve been in Onchan, and most of time there is one cash till operator on the check out. Again it was dead, and not a great deal on the shelves. 

Perhaps if IOMG and others start interfering to much, maybe Tesco will say stuff this  and pull out. Then Shoprite will no doubt go cap in hand to IOMG. 

Another delicious thought would be if the Victoria Road site was flattened, it would make a nice site for much needed social housing - I wonder who would object?

16 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Well duh, 2021 was lockdown.

Well indeed it was lockdown the previous year but bear in mind even then at its peak only circa a third of retail purchases where online . That says a lot of people still liked to go shopping in a physical despite the restrictions. 

• Like 1

Surely this gives local businesses an opportunity to expand into a  company that could provide them with an "in" to either a larger regional market place or even national uk market. Tesco will be shipping back empty trailers to the UK and I'm sure that  if they could fill those trailers with iom goods and make a profit they would. They have  very sophisticated marketing and distribution setups and different products can be supplied to different grades of stores. This is a good opportunity for progressive companies to stop moaning and get on board. Let's hope that some do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Well indeed it was lockdown the previous year but bear in mind even then at its peak only circa a third of retail purchases where online . That says a lot of people still liked to go shopping in a physical despite the restrictions. 

All stats point to a continuing trend, and it won't stop, why would it?  Who buys clothes in shops these days, why would anyone with a choice  spend anytime in a shit hole like a Tesco?