Firm closing

finlo

22 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe I am way off but this doesn't seem like a hostile takeover where 1 big business swallows up small businesses 

Agreed.  The Nicholsons must be near retirement age now.    None of their kids interested in running the business.  No obvious succession plan within the company. Probably looking for an exit and a cushy retirement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newaccount said:

Huge potential for Robinsons on Cooil Road

Not sure how you work that out. I would say it’s a disaster for them Tesco have suppliers for fresh fruit & selling it much cheaper than Robinsons do , maybe some local produce but not the major contracts they have now 

35 minutes ago, emesde said:

Surely this gives local businesses an opportunity to expand into a  company that could provide them with an "in" to either a larger regional market place or even national uk market. Tesco will be shipping back empty trailers to the UK and I'm sure that  if they could fill those trailers with iom goods and make a profit they would. They have  very sophisticated marketing and distribution setups and different products can be supplied to different grades of stores. This is a good opportunity for progressive companies to stop moaning and get on board. Let's hope that some do. 

that may work well for bushys and davidsons ice cream  but robinsons won't be selling stuff they have shipped in for tesco to ship it out again, that said quite a lot of robinsons stuff (  ground grown stuff ) comes from a big farm in the north of the island but i can't see them competing with UK suppliers.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not many bananas and oranges grown on the island.

Personally, I'd rather see Robingits go down the pan anyway.

Awful people.

Would be another company that IOMG would bail out - under the guise of national importance. Too big to fail ……..

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

Not sure how you work that out. I would say it’s a disaster for them Tesco have suppliers for fresh fruit & selling it much cheaper than Robinsons do , maybe some local produce but not the major contracts they have now 

All the local stuff can now be sold through Robinsons