Firm closing

finlo

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not Govt's job to support businesses that can't run themselves (although they throw enough into their own such operations, such as the Meat Plant).

My point is that in addition to the global economic pressures that are hitting business everywhere it is my belief that local businesses (and everyone else) are being crippled by additional burdens being imposed by Govt as it seeks to shore up its own fuck ups of the past and present.

What additional burdens?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There are no additional burdens that people weren’t aware of when they drew up their business plans.

If they had just increased VAT or something you might have a point, but they haven’t.

Wrong, there have been large increases in the last 8 months alone, to include the February Budget. Plus large increases in vehicle taxes and the last electricity increase was only in July.

I have posted this before but I do not think many people realise just what sort of taxation burden is being imposed in the name of the MEA debt and the PS Pensions shortfall but it is certainly now contributing to the death of small businesses, private businesses which are the lifeblood of the economy because of the wealth they create. They are being sacrificed.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

The small Shopshite stores being labelled as Tesco Express stores. As you rightly say, the consumer will make the decisions 

I agree to a point. Victoria rd and maybe Peel and Ramsey are just about big enough to be Tesco 'superstores'.

The little shoprites like Peel are perfectly sized to be Tesco Express.

I worry about the inbetweenies like wineright and Onchan. In the UK Tesco dont have inbetweeies. I fear they might be for the chop.

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Wrong, there have been large increases in the last 8 months alone, to include the February Budget. Plus large increases in vehicle taxes and the last electricity increase was only in July.

I have posted this before but I do not think many people realise just what sort of taxation burden is being imposed in the name of the MEA debt and the PS Pensions shortfall but it is certainly now contributing to the death of small businesses, private businesses which are the lifeblood of the economy because of the wealth they create. They are being sacrificed.

What? That’s just rubbish 

1 hour ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Where’s Jack White when you need him. The closures are self evident what you’re seeing is the more financially viable businesses grabbing market share. 

Exactly the unviable & badly run businesses are shutting & the good ones are expanding 

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

IOM Government is a significant contributor to inflation. 

Exactly. Anybody who believes that Govt imposing hikes of 20%+, (in addition to other further taxes to bail out the past and present), doesn't impact on inflation and the financial stresses on small private businesses needs to give their head a wobble. 

Govt has one priority, itself and the promises it has made to itself and its flock.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

For how long though?

Depends how long the FSA (not Govt, but really is Govt) continue their witch hunts.  Mainly in the interests of once again giving people something to do (which is ideally saying 'no' or fining/closing firms because they've forgotten to tick a box).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

But things have gone up less than RPI. Other things have gone up much more than Government taxes and utility costs. You post just doesn't make any sense at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

What’s the price difference on goods between a Tesco, and a Tesco Express?

People expecting prices like they are used to seeing in Lake Road in Castletown are likely to be disappointed 

As far as I know express prices are the same as superstore and tesco extra

Turns out I was wrong though. Seems the express stores are around 10% more with tesco citing the extra costs of city locations as the reason

Edited by Happier diner