Firm closing

finlo

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Exactly 

They really aren’t going to be any better than what we have now price wise.

Products across all Shoprite stores are priced the same, even the small convenience stores.

We are going to end up with two or three stores where some lines are slightly cheaper than Shoprite were and with the rest carrying an additional markup for the convenience of the smaller store.

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

As far as I know express prices are the same as superstore and tesco extra

Express prices are definitely higher on a range of products, not everything but they are more akin to a convenience store in many respects.  Some Clubcard deals are also priced higher in Express stores than in the superstores or Extras.

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Exactly 

They really aren’t going to be any better than what we have now price wise.

It's a bit more nuanced than blanket 10% though, the smaller shops have less range and so less likely to carry multi-pack deals or cheaper alternatives from main brands, you could easily have the same basket of goods that will cost the same in an express as in an extra.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Depends how long the FSA (not Govt, but really is Govt) continue their witch hunts.  Mainly in the interests of once again giving people something to do (which is ideally saying 'no' or fining/closing firms because they've forgotten to tick a box).

I was thinking more in terms of the moral dimension with gaming and pressures outwith IOM.

32 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Shoprite approx 80m by 60m

Tesco approx 80m by 50m if you take the warehousing out, and Shoprite has a mezzanine so I wouldn’t be so sure.

I do think Vic Road is sizeable with a considerable amount of wasted space.

It may prove more valuable long term..

If Nicholsons are renting the stores to Tesco a lot will depend on how much rent they are charging when the pricing of goods is determined.  I am surprised they have not purchased the buildings especially if they are going to install self service tills and revamp the shopping areas.     If they do change the smaller branches to Tesco express with less choice and dearer prices a lot of people will decamp to the Coops and to M&S who have become more competitive lately and let us not forget Dealz.   Tesco may end up not selling a lot more because people will shop at their local branch instead of braving Lake Road and the whole operation will be splintered instead of being in one place, much more expensive and a lot more hassle and costs, we will see.   Twenty years may seem like a long time but the premises will all need to be revamped , new equipment purchased and no doubt a rent rise.

• Like 1

Just now, Fred the shred said:

If Nicholsons are renting the stores to Tesco a lot will depend on how much rent they are charging when the pricing of goods is determined.  I am surprised they have not purchased the buildings especially if they are going to install self service tills and revamp the shopping areas.     If they do change the smaller branches to Tesco express with less choice and dearer prices a lot of people will decamp to the Coops and to M&S who have become more competitive lately and let us not forget Dealz.   Tesco may end up not selling a lot more because people will shop at their local branch instead of braving Lake Road and the whole operation will be splintered instead of being in one place, much more expensive and a lot more hassle and costs, we will see.   Twenty years may seem like a long time but the premises will all need to be revamped , new equipment purchased and no doubt a rent rise.

You know what stops me doing much M&S food shopping? Parking.

What stopped me doing much food shopping at Shoprite? Quality. Ample parking though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You know what stops me doing much M&S food shopping? Parking.

What stopped me doing much food shopping at Shoprite? Quality. Ample parking though.

M&S food hall is far too small & very crammed around the tills when busy. They really need to expand it & lose some of the clothes flooring 

• Like 2