Firm closing

finlo

11 hours ago, La Colombe said:

Mojo. 

And Papas Arrugadas are boiled. Traditionally in sea water. Not baked.

Yes, they are basically boiled dry. The water is drained off once the potatoes are cooked and then they are boiled dry in the pan. We can bake them that last few mins if toy want to make it easier. We made them here once and they were fine. However, we have never done them again as we think its best to save such experiences for when we are there on holiday 👍

19 hours ago, Two-lane said:

It works because they sell food to people who live locally. I was passing by and I was hungry.

They have a business plan (no doubt expensively generated) that guarantees a profit while eliminating the demographics that include cruise ship passengers, people who like to spend all day lying on a sunbed, people who have a taste for 50-year-old brandy, people who want Cuban cigars rolled on the inner thigh of some young lady, people who like to sniff wine bottle corks (and God knows what else), people who like waiters fawning over them, people who... well you get the idea.

The couple who own the house I have rented have occasionally taken me to lunch (minimum 3 hours). The food is really quite simple (the meat is either rabbit or goat, and the fish is anything that swims in the sea). But they are always concerned with quality.

Wine always comes in a jug - white or red. One time I asked them if the wine was local or European. The man pointed out of the window. At the back of the restaurant was a small vineyard.

Another time they did not think the fish was not fresh enough so as the waiter went by they said something like "Bring us a couple of foot of octopus tentacle". That, they thought was more up to standard. Cut into three and, as always, drowned in olive oil.

There is a Lidl near where I stay. There are no microwave meals or tins of Cambell's soup. Bread rolls are baked on the premises and are stale by the next day.

Things are different there.

Out of the way places in Malta were the same quite a few years back.

22 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And when you get back home from trips abroad do you regale your friends with tales of how you were expected to keep hold of your knife and fork from eating your starter to use for your main course?

Any chance you could avail yourself of the opportunity to shut the fuck up...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Further evidence of a badly run business failing, when a few hundred yards up the road another is thriving, and the pub next door is always busy for food.

The business is out there, for people who run a business that people want to visit and that is run properly.

https://gef.im/news/business/restaurant-closed-without-paying-staff-40821

He completely overpriced his offering which is why not many went there 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well that maybe true 

We had the Harbour Bistro in Ramsey which some might have said was overpriced. But in terms of food and service it was exceptional.

Yes it was the top end ( certainly for Ramsey) and we were fortunate that we could afford to eat there as an occasional treat.

There has  been many theories advanced as to why they closed, overpricing being just one. The Island  being what it is, other explanations have been offered. Who knows?

Be nice if they reappeared at an alternative venue in Ramsey as the product was good.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well that maybe true 

We had the Harbour Bistro in Ramsey which some might have said was overpriced. But in terms of food and service it was exceptional.

Yes it was the top end ( certainly for Ramsey) and we were fortunate that we could afford to eat there as an occasional treat.

There has  been many theories advanced as to why they closed, overpricing being just one. The Island  being what it is, other explanations have been offered. Who knows?

Be nice if they reappeared at an alternative venue in Ramsey as the product was good.

It wasn’t overpriced.  It was extremely good value.

What makes you think it was overpriced?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

i went a few times and thought it was good and i felt the pricing was similar to 14 north ,  the pop up nights were also good ,  it wasn't the best planning to open at the start of winter which is a bad time to open anything in the hospitality sector , add to that  not long after they opened the cost of energy went up severely and the roadworks did affect access and parking in the area , now the roadworks are done the parking spaces have been reduced along the lines of loch prom in douglas 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

the roadworks did affect access and parking in the area ,

Parking was always available in the MNH? park, not too far to walk surely? Seems like a case of , ''this is not the old owners', did, let's  find faults???

If you want a steak, cooked to perfection, that is the priority surely? It doesn't matter is ti comes with onion rings, vine tomatoes , chips, mushrooms and a drizzle of bearnaise, for 15 quid, then you are in the wrong place,  go to Barbary Coast and get the plate full that you want, if you want quality, go to a restaurant and get the best you could hope for!!!!! from your steak order!!!, Or if you're just on a Friday night out, go to Barbary????

On 10/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, John Wright said:

Nope. Why would I. Eating customs, manners, and expectations, vary as much as the food.

Im currently 25 km from the nearest town. No Brits or other nationalities in sight. Just Catalans and some Spanish. I’ve had this place 18 years. There are 8 houses within a 500 metre radius.

I go to local places in the nearby villages. Spend 4-5 months a year here. Never met another Brit.

Went for lunch today to the nearest high end place. It’s 10 years since I found it. It’s a 45 minute drive, in a tiny hamlet. The last 800 metres down a gravel track. If it were in a town, and opened for more than Friday Saturday and Sunday lunch, it’d justify a Michelin star. 15 tapas size courses, fixed price taster menu. I won’t discuss specific cutlery, which you seem interested in, but there were no knives or forks involved.

Today was a special occasion. Most of my eating out is in places offering menus de dia at between €12-15 to include bread, starter, main and desert with either a litre of water or half a litre of wine. The wine usually comes in a jug and if you ask what it is there’s a shrug of shoulders and a gesticulation towards the nearest field of vines.

Although I can get sausage, black pudding or chorizo a la brasa and potatoes, plus a grilled pepper and a beer for €6 in the chiringuito across the field.

Sounds idylic, health to enjoy John.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

If you want a steak, cooked to perfection, that is the priority surely? It doesn't matter is ti comes with onion rings, vine tomatoes , chips, mushrooms and a drizzle of bearnaise, for 15 quid, then you are in the wrong place,  go to Barbary Coast and get the plate full that you want, if you want quality, go to a restaurant and get the best you could hope for!!!!! from your steak order!!!, Or if you're just on a Friday night out, go to Barbary????

I've eaten a lot of steaks in a lot of restaurants and always thought the ones in Barbary Coast, were very good and good value too. Their pepper sauce is one of the best I've tasted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Katman said:

I've eaten a lot of steaks in a lot of restaurants and always thought the ones in Barbary Coast, were very good and good value too. Their pepper sauce is one of the best I've tasted.

Same here, I was suitably impressed with the steak and sauce in there. Last place I had a decent steak was La Mona Lisa in Laxey, surprisingly. 

• Like 1