Firm closing

finlo

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

He just suggests, or implies, that posters who disagree with him are either stupid or imbecilic , which is probably worse!

He can’t be worse than Fantasy Dave though. Walter Mitty on steroids, 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

He can’t be worse than Fantasy Dave though. Walter Mitty on steroids, 

I just googled Walter Mitty because I had no idea what you were on about.

If you think one thing I have posted about is a personal triumph then you are an even sadder sad and lonely bloke than I had imagined.

Before you say it this is a deferent comment stream, and this will also be the last time I respond to your pathetic comments on this one.

Edited by CrazyDave

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I just googled Walter Mitty because I had no idea what you were on about.….. and this will also be the last time I respond to your pathetic comments on this one.

I’m really disappointed that you can’t even follow through on your promise that you won’t reply to any of my posts anymore. Another fantasy post for Fantasy Dave. I hope you follow through on your second promise having broken your first promise never to respond to me again. Fantasy Dave one of several laughable forum fantasists. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I genuinely have no idea what that is but would assume somewhere that people who don’t speak English can get assisted?

If so, whyMNH would want to use a lovely and prominent building for that?  Surely their remit is to preserve buildings in a way that people use them and they generate revenue?

If an interpretation centre is what I have guessed, then why not use the town hall or another building that could fulfil the same function without wasting a nice building like the one Barclays are currently using.

PS - why so smug and thinking you are so superior?   Just answer the question.

Hang on.  Yesterday you were slagging off VoR for not knowing what an ambiguous internet acronym was.  Now you're complaining because people expect you know the meaning of a common form of heritage attraction which you could easily have googled:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_centre

You can't have it both ways.

As to your other points, it's difficult to see what uses the current building could be put to, especially given the increasing number of empty shops etc in Castletown.  (And losing its last bank is only going to make things worse).  It's not really that distinguished a building that it's worth exhibiting as a thing in itself (even the original listing report wasn't that enthusiastic).  But equally as you say there are other alternatives for an Interpretation Centre, including something at the Town Hall.

• Like 1

And they are after money to build a super duper building to house the Peggy which will cost about 6million they (MNH) apparently have 3million and want the Govt to stump up the rest.   This has gone suspiciously quiet but not gone away, of course it does not end there, wages and overheads will have to be found.   They should concentrate on keeping the sites they already have up to the mark not planning a deluxe residence for an awl boat.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fred the shred said:

And they are after money to build a super duper building to house the Peggy which will cost about 6million they (MNH) apparently have 3million and want the Govt to stump up the rest.   This has gone suspiciously quiet but not gone away, of course it does not end there, wages and overheads will have to be found.   They should concentrate on keeping the sites they already have up to the mark not planning a deluxe residence for an awl boat.  

MNH haven't got the £3 million though.  What they have got is promises for matching funds.  In other words various Trusts, charities, companies whatever have said they will give them money when the project goes ahead.  But they need the government funding to unlock the promises.  This is a fairly common way for things to happen in the heritage sector in the UK, you'll often see a list of such organisations that helped on new buildings or extensions.  But they don't pay the full amount.

It's also worth pointing out that the £6 million isn't just to house the Peggy but to refurbish and work on the whole of the Nautical Museum, especially the bits that interact with the sea (ie making sure the walls will stand up to it).  Which of course is part of concentrating on the sites they already have.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Banker said:

Eventually Ramsey branch will close, or its opening hours reduced.

What Barclays or the landlord of the building does with it is ultimately up to them, unless he is deciding what the building should be used for? 

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Eventually Ramsey branch will close, or its opening hours reduced.

What Barclays or the landlord of the building does with it is ultimately up to them, unless he is deciding what the building should be used for? 

It’s unsurprising Castletown is a ghost town during the week. I can’t imagine Barclays have that many customers left looking at the tumbleweeds blowing through Arbory and Malew Street most afternoons. The only thing people will miss is the cashpoint but I think one has been relocated now to the commissioners offices. It can’t possibly come as a surprise to either Glover or Moorhouse that a next to empty bank has now made the decision to close. 

12 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

It’s unsurprising Castletown is a ghost town during the week. I can’t imagine Barclays have that many customers left looking at the tumbleweeds blowing through Arbory and Malew Street most afternoons. The only thing people will miss is the cashpoint but I think one has been relocated now to the commissioners offices. It can’t possibly come as a surprise to either Glover or Moorhouse that a next to empty bank has now made the decision to close. 

It’s hard to think of the amount of hard earned taxpayer cash soon to be wasted on a glorified shed/museum, which in all honesty will be visited for 6 - 7 months, and to placate both the commissioners, Moorehouse and Glover. So presumably it’s going to be rammed to the rafters, and there will be a high visitor spend in the gift shop from all those cruise liner passengers? 

Firm closing--ish, 35 years in the Peter Luis building, relocating to---maybe internet sales only? 

Rising lease costs plus possible plans for fast food type outlet on the ground floor seems to be the decision maker, a shame to see it go 😒

402086751_846463417269275_5915105573176134363_n.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, quilp said:

"if you have to ask the price you obviously can't afford it!" was the reply when I asked about an obviously well over-priced, small bronze figurine, in there. I could but didn’t bother buying. Terrible snobbery. 

Who the hell gives them the right to say that sort of thing. Never judge a book by its cover should be the first rule and anyone is a potential buyer. What’s so difficult in a brief description and it’s…..currently on offer for….. prats. No time for the likes of that.