Firm closing

finlo

22 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

And then they give Lewis Hamilton a £3m vat rebate on his private jet.

Nevermind as they’re now pinning their hopes on recovering £50M from a sanctioned Russian Oligarch whose illiquid company asset is now sat in a Cayman company. It’s a bit like trying to get a claim against someone’s Transit van who transferred the log book to his best mate. 

27 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They tried to stop us taking our vans home more than once (despite out of hours call outs and often working closer to home than the unit. One even told me that we shouldn't be stopping at a shop in it during work hours. They'd question any expensive tool or equipment you'd buy, why you needed it, was it ever used outside work?

Well I must confess to being shocked and suprised by that. I regularly had dealings with C & E until I retired 3 years or so ago and couldn’t  imagine them being like that. But I do believe you.

Similarly the FSC / FSA used to offer guidance rather than being a nasty piece of work trying to entrap you at every opportunity. They changed into that maybe  ten or fifteen years or more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

It’s in line with inflation or would you rather your taxes went up to subsidize the price for everyone?

Arguing with yourself again. Disturbing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I must confess to being shocked and suprised by that. I regularly had dealings with C & E until I retired 3 years or so ago and couldn’t  imagine them being like that. But I do believe you.

Similarly the FSC / FSA used to offer guidance rather than being a nasty piece of work trying to entrap you at every opportunity. They changed into that maybe  ten or fifteen years or more. 

I believe you too. You've got to take people as you find them, if the VAT people were good with you, don't let me persuade you any different.

The Income Tax Division were always quite good to be fair. You do have to chase them sometimes if they owe you money, and definitely check their calculations, but they are always friendly and helpful. 

9 hours ago, Banker said:

It’s in line with inflation or would you rather your taxes went up to subsidize the price for everyone?

And what about those people who aren't lucky enough to be receiving inflation-or-above pay rises? What about those businesses who are finding that hiking their own rates is driving already hard-pressed customers away?

Your and everybody else's taxes will be going up again to fund unemployment and other related benefits when another tranche of businesses goes to the wall in the next six months in order that a Govt body and its employees can continue to indulge in the profligacy they have been accustomed to for far too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And what about those people who aren't lucky enough to be receiving inflation-or-above pay rises? What about those businesses who are finding that hiking their own rates is driving already hard-pressed customers away?

Your and everybody else's taxes will be going up again to fund unemployment and other related benefits when another tranche of businesses goes to the wall in the next six months in order that a Govt body and its employees can continue to indulge in the profligacy they have been accustomed to for far too long.

According to that tosser Cueey aka many names we are the same person so I’d better not respond😂

45 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Returning to the topic of struggling local businesses, I understand that Bar George may be experiencing some difficulties with regard to its liquor licence and pre-booked parties are now BYOB.

Cruel time for them - December must be a significant portion of business 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I believe you too. You've got to take people as you find them, if the VAT people were good with you, don't let me persuade you any different.

The Income Tax Division were always quite good to be fair. You do have to chase them sometimes if they owe you money, and definitely check their calculations, but they are always friendly and helpful. 

Always found ITD and C&E very helpful and reasonable, and certainly by comparison with their UK equivalents. Fair to say that the rules themselves have become increasingly onerous and more rigorously applied in the past 15 years or so, but before that there was so much money around that the only problem was what to spend it on, and interpretations seemed accordingly more relaxed.