Firm closing

finlo

I went in the thirsty pigeon once, years ago not long after it had first opened, goband check out the new place in town and all that. The guy next to me at the bar ordered a pint of Coors light shandy, so I figured that wasn't the place for me and went to the Rovers. 

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The one thing about rumours on here you can be sure about....they turn out to be not true. 

There's a large amount of stuff "outed" on here accurately that predates official announcement, in my experience.

The main stuff to be discounted is that by the obvious Govt shills. In those instances it's usually a fair call to expect the diametric opposite.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Ingham said:

So if that turns out to be fact, it would be another place closing because it wasn’t being run properly?

Tax and NI isn’t complicated, and if you don’t get it you pay an accountant or even a basic bookkeeper or payroll supplier.

Pity you didn't know, you could maybe have stopped playing backseat driver and actually run a hospitality business, since you seem to know so much about doing it successfully. 

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Its being taken over by new management 

It's Rob Storey. Odin and The Traf. 

I'd alluded to this closing in previous posts. 

Hopefully it's the rocket up the backside Government needs to actually do something about hospitality. Otherwise this is going to become a regular occurrence and you'll be left with nowhere to go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Hopefully it's the rocket up the backside Government needs to actually do something about hospitality. Otherwise this is going to become a regular occurrence and you'll be left with nowhere to go. 

But if someone else steps straight in to take it over the net loss is zero, right? And if things really were that bad across the board then no one would be opening anywhere else up?

• Like 2

There are always people who think that they can do better than the previous people, even if the market drift is downwards?

The sisters in law who do xmas lunch for 12 and think they should open their own cafe, the people who think it would be 'fun' to have a Pub???

How many rockets would have to be fired before the market evens out again and makes the subsidy a mistake?

Ten years from now we will be asking what the problem was in early 20's, seems fine now!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Eh, a pub closes and it’s the rocket up the backside the Government needs to actually do something about hospitality?

I don’t get that. What should the Government “ do” about hospitality. It’s an industry like any other.

We used to have places that would sell music CD,s Shocks, HMV and more recently WH Smith. Dealz had a manky selection of refurbished ones, (not sure if they sell them anymore) . But you can’t buy locally anymore.What should the Government do about that?

Anyway in terms of licensed premises, you’ll always have somewhere to go. HOPS for example

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Eh, a pub closes and it’s the rocket up the backside the Government needs to actually do something about hospitality?

I don’t get that. What should the Government “ do” about hospitality. It’s an industry like any other.

We used to have places that would sell music CD,s Shocks, HMV and more recently WH Smith. Dealz had a manky selection of refurbished ones, (not sure if they sell them anymore) . But you can’t buy locally anymore.What should the Government do about that?

Anyway in terms of licensed premises, you’ll always have somewhere to go. HOPS for example

CD shops went because of music streaming. Good luck with putting pubs online.

Government support many industries in one way or another. There are many companies on the island that rely almost exclusively on government for their income.

Helping the hospitality sector could and perhaps should be done. It's not as if it's never been done before, albeit very selectively.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, A fool and his money..... said:

CD shops went because of music streaming. Good luck with putting pubs online.

Government support many industries in one way or another. There are many companies on the island that rely almost exclusively on government for their income.

Helping the hospitality sector could and perhaps should be done. It's not as if it's never been done before, albeit very selectively.

EVF selling Perfect Draft kegs is probably a more appropriate comparison. 

2 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Pity you didn't know, you could maybe have stopped playing backseat driver and actually run a hospitality business, since you seem to know so much about doing it successfully. 

It's Rob Storey. Odin and The Traf. 

I'd alluded to this closing in previous posts. 

Except it is not Rob Storey but his backer

• Like 1