Firm closing

finlo

7 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I'm 100% against the bloody things.

So is the rest of the world at least in the sense that it's a commercial proposition. There were horse drawn tramways all over the UK and the rest of the world. They all failed for the same basic reason; horses can pull a tram for about a dozen miles a day over a four to five hour work period. Each tram on the network needs multiple horses. Every horse needs continual year round maintenance and care and produces prodigious amounts of manure. 

The Douglas tramway was built in 1876 and sold to the Electric Tramways company in 1882. It went bust in 1900. The liquidator sold it to Douglas Corporation who ran it, at a loss, until 2015 when it couldn't cope with the losses anymore. 

There are a few heritage horse drawn tramways still in the world, but by 1937 there were none left in the UK operating as a serious mode of public transport. They were all replaced by electric or cable tramways. It's not for the likes of me to say if you should continue with your heritage transport systems, or if they've been successfully managed, but if you do keep them you'll all have to copper up.

4 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I've said it before. When the prom was started they should have moved them to Ramsey prom, to join up with and enhance the coming pier experience. If Ramsey would have taken them.

They are uneconomic and a pain in the arse for Douglas Prom - and could have been run much more cheaply out of town.

Don't send your shitty horse trams down to us. We still get our bins emptied weekly you know.

Re-route them up and down Church Street. The smell of horse shite will improve the Rovers no end.🤣

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

What the actual fuck has this got to do with “firm closing “

I did ask that yesterday but nobody seemed to take any notice.

Its all Douglas people thinking they are the only ones that matter.

Bit like Londoners in the UK

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 10:54 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I did ask that yesterday but nobody seemed to take any notice.

Its all Douglas people thinking they are the only ones that matter.

Bit like Londoners in the UK

One could also point to a lot of posts here being slagging matches filling up pages rather than contributing anyhting 'on topic'. Maybe there ought to be "You are a **** " thread where they can go and play? 

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Maybe there ought to be "You are a **** " thread where they can go and play? 

It's been suggested before.  A virtual padded walled room/fight club. 

30 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I suspect some might end up arguing with their own sockpuppets..

image.jpeg.19eedd62313f22ed9a843bd8621e5d3b.jpeg

You're not allowed to use THAT word. I think it's a lifetime ban or 25 years in prison or something.

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

Looneys is unclosing, opening as a bedding store and the pop-up pasty shop at the former truffleshop has gone now.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to reopen as an Asylum? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to reopen as an Asylum? 

It is not reopening at all.

This is misinformation and should really be removed before rumours start based on the inaccurate information.

4 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

It is not reopening at all.

This is misinformation and should really be removed before rumours start based on the inaccurate information.

I don’t think it’s going to crash Google or be a scandalous whisper- which Looneys ? Peel, Ramsey, or the Douglas one that used to sell Farah trousers?

10 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I don’t think it’s going to crash Google or be a scandalous whisper- which Looneys ? Peel, Ramsey, or the Douglas one that used to sell Farah trousers?

I am only here to correct some bad info but I don’t remember Looneys in Douglas.

Farah trousers were from Ernest Kelly’s