Firm closing

finlo

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This is an insane way to have to run a business

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/how-the-cost-of-living-crisis-has-hit-cafe-hard-561485

I’m sure no regular buses there haven’t helped either. 

Should have never knocked down the old shack with its oil lamps, they wouldn't have cost as much.

(Actually if you read it the main cost is actually the inability of them to use red diesel for generating electricity any more.  Which is probably something that doesn't affect that many.  Though you would have thought it an ideal place for the government to have trialled some sort of renewables). 

Edited to add:  The lack of buses must have put off a lot of people who would have walked the coastal path from Port Erin or Port St Mary, stopped for a bite or a coffee and then caught the bus back.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Should have never knocked down the old shack with its oil lamps, they wouldn't have cost as much.

(Actually if you read it the main cost is actually the inability of them to use red diesel for generating electricity any more.  Which is probably something that doesn't affect that many.  Though you would have thought it an ideal place for the government to have trialled some sort of renewables). 

Edited to add:  The lack of buses must have put off a lot of people who would have walked the coastal path from Port Erin or Port St Mary, stopped for a bite or a coffee and then caught the bus back.

Would probably cost £10 a passenger to run them down there

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/how-the-cost-of-living-crisis-has-hit-cafe-hard-561485

It always seems busy down there with regular coaches & some buses ,prices have gone up a fair bit this summer probably to cover increased costs 

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

advertising that there was a fuel surcharge was not the brightest thing to do. I could just imagine how busy we would be if I added a fuel surcharge for the privilege of eating here...

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s what I meant. I would have been reluctant to take a lease on if you’re stuck with the cost of generating power yourself as well. The government should have put mains in when they rebuilt that place. 

If only the owner was aware of the cost of generating your own power from diesel … oh wait he used to own a fuel company 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I thought off grid power generation was still allowable for red diesel?

https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/uk-restrictions-on-use-of-red-diesel-from-1-april-2022

only for NON commercial if i understood your link ??  amazing that diesel with RFD applied , that is ROAD FUEL DUTY has to be used in circumstances that have no road use ????

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2