Firm closing

finlo

35 minutes ago, Banker said:

I understand they will be cutting back on loaves & concentrate on higher margin items like baps, bagels, pastries  etc. A sausage bap in their bread at Noas costs I think £6.50 so massive profits whereas bread with supermarkets margin, delivery costs, packaging eyc will be nowhere near same profits 

That was my reading of it as well.  I just couldn't understand the clash between the rhetoric of 'cutting back' and what they actually described as their plans, which was expansion.  Less stock will presumably mean less profit for their retailers though.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That was my reading of it as well.  I just couldn't understand the clash between the rhetoric of 'cutting back' and what they actually described as their plans, which was expansion.  Less stock will presumably mean less profit for their retailers though.

Less bread.

More cake. 

Seems like a bit of a misnomer in light of the cost of living issues, but I think we'd all rather eat cake. 

15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Starship Enterprise success story alright.

No bread for the people, but plenty of almond croissants for the artisan wankers.

I get the de-scale bit and I can see why they’re doing what they’re doing. The bit that I don’t get in hindsight now is the panic that happened when Ramsey Bakery closed as clearly Noa don’t see a mass market for loaves of bread moving forward even with Ramsey Bakery now out of the equation. So what was all the bollocks about securing the local bread supply and the future of Laxey Mills? We’re now in a much worse position from a supply chain point of view and yet I haven’t heard anyone complain that they can’t find any bread to buy. 

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I get the de-scale bit and I can see why they’re doing what they’re doing. The bit that I don’t get in hindsight now is the panic that happened when Ramsey Bakery closed as clearly Noa don’t see a mass market for loaves of bread moving forward even with Ramsey Bakery now out of the equation. So what was all the bollocks about securing the local bread supply and the future of Laxey Mills? We’re now in a much worse position from a supply chain point of view and yet I haven’t heard anyone complain that they can’t find any bread to buy. 

But they didn't fill the Ramsey Bakery hole.

Producing more £4 loaves doesn't fill the damn gap. If they started producing new budget loaves that shops had at £1.50 it'd go a much longer way.

My local Spar is now full of crap tasing cheap Hovis loaves that are the same price Ramsey loaves used to be.

6 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If they started producing new budget loaves that shops had at £1.50 it'd go a much longer way.

My local Spar is now full of crap tasing cheap Hovis loaves that are the same price Ramsey loaves used to be.

No there was a suggestion at the time that another local bakery would see the market and replace Ramsey Bakery. In effect it seems their isn’t a profitable market to see if Noa are scaling down. There certainly has been none of the forecast problems getting hold of bread either that was allegedly going to mean that TT would be ruined as we’d have no baps for burgers. 

26 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There wasn't that much panic.  Bread isn't the staple for most people that it was 50 years ago even and the decline has been entirely in the sort of white sliced that was Ramsey Bakery's core product.  Noa never had a mass market and may have been slightly undermined by a better range of mid-market ranges.  

The need for security of supply is less these day, even if the imports stopped for a bit people would adapt their eating habits (as they did in the pandemic).  The threat to laxey Mills is real though as Ramsey took the vast majority of their flour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No there was a suggestion at the time that another local bakery would see the market and replace Ramsey Bakery. In effect it seems their isn’t a profitable market to see if Noa are scaling down. There certainly has been none of the forecast problems getting hold of bread either that was allegedly going to mean that TT would be ruined as we’d have no baps for burgers. 

I think we'll start to see the supply issues in winter when the ferry problems start with the worse weather. But it's bread, we'll cope!!

I hope this is just Noa's forecasting the terrible economic winter we are heading towards and that people will be tightening their belts.

Edited by NoTailT

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There wasn't that much panic.  Bread isn't the staple for most people that it was 50 years ago even and the decline has been entirely in the sort of white sliced that was Ramsey Bakery's core product.  Noa never had a mass market and may have been slightly undermined by a better range of mid-market ranges.  

You forget this was the doom and gloom forecast at the time - significant impacts across the supply chain etc 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/ramsey-bakery-will-be-shutting-at-the-end-of-week-as-planned-545435

In effect hardly anyone noticed. 

• Like 2

Looks like the pubs are in for a hard time in weeks and months to come. Friend said Jaks are charging £4 40 for a bottle of Bud . Hate the drink but lots of people drink it but can't  see them doing so at that price. It really is , stating the obvious I know , going to be a really tough winter and beyond.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Never mind the price of the alcohol, (for customers and for publicans) just trying to keep premises warm in the winter is going to make it untenable for many. Like you, I'm not a drinker but many do still enjoy going out for a pint. My guess is that a lot of the smaller, quieter pubs that don't have food to supplement their incomes may be having to close their doors come spring.

Fingers crossed a decent package is announced tomorrow. Just as long as our lot don't dither

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Never mind the price of the alcohol, (for customers and for publicans) just trying to keep premises warm in the winter is going to make it untenable for many. Like you, I'm not a drinker but many do still enjoy going out for a pint. My guess is that a lot of the smaller, quieter pubs that don't have food to supplement their incomes may be having to close their doors come spring.

Can't argue with that tbh. Can see Brewery pubs closing as many are quiet now and can't be making money with overheads and wage bill and the likes. Been strange times these last few years hasn't it. Who could have guessed ?!!. Covid and then as good as a war .😪😔

Ohh, I love wine but in moderation 😉🍷🍾

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I think the reality is the opposite, history would say.

Small pubs with low overheads that don't do food often survive better than those reliant on turning over a decent amount of food covers. Think about winter and cost of living, the mature folk of us around here would be happy to go sit in a warm log fire pub drinking pints and keeping warm of an evening!

Going for a pint around a log fire is something I'm quite happy to use a pub for, I'm a rare user of the food side of things. But I've long been becoming a rare patron of the former too, simply on price grounds and it's also very obvious that others are similarly affected by the drop-off in pub patronage.

But when you see £4+ being asked for a bottle of cheap "Mexican" lager that can be had for little more than £1.25 in the supermarket is it any wonder?

I remember a few years back when the brewery started bringing in Sol and Corona and marketing it as some sort of yuppie drink a mate of mine looked into it and found out it was about 20p a bottle in its home country, brewed for poor working classes.

Pubs are going to lower their sights, if not have a bit of a reset themselves IMHO.

• Like 1