Firm closing

finlo

21 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

As I have said the handouts are going to have to stop. People have had 2 years to decide whether to sell up or sit it out. We can’t go on underwriting this pandemic mess indefinitely. 

The question is how long can we go on funding and I think we certainly won’t have the funds to go on after September which is going to leave a lot of businesses, hospitality especially, with a very bleak winter to look forward to. The covid grants in some cases (esp hotels and hospitality) have kept unviable businesses afloat and we can’t keep on writing cheques. In reality when the pandemic hit (or in reality the over zealous lockdown strategy hit) it should have instantly bankrupted large segments of the private sector. We provided covid grants so that this didn’t happen but mass business failures were always going to roll out of the system at some stage as all we were doing is buying time. I was talking to an insolvency practitioner in Manchester the other week who is busier than he’s been in the last 10 years dealing with orderly liquidations or wind downs, attempted business exits, and of course bankruptcies. The next 18 months is going to be fairly horrible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Do you know his troops are advancing to the east of Ukraine with some alacrity?

Looks like the US 'advisors' were right in their prognosis a few months ago.

Will Putin's cronies turn against him I wonder?

The Ukraine (read: USA) now has at least one working version of every type of Russians battlefield technology *and* many Russians techs have defected.

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

Sadly, I think he has this all worked out.Starving. Africa (when the grain stops moivng) and starving Europe of full.He's currently spending millions on weapons from Korea. He's no where near done yet.

I don't agree - he was expecting a rapid victory. He did not plan for the very poor quality of his officer corps. he has to get this ammunition to Russia, meanwhile the US is arming the Ukraine with some excellent battlefield weapons that Putin could only dream of. Don't underestimate the amount of intelligence the US has from their surveillance satellites and comms systems.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I don't agree - he was expecting a rapid victory. He did not plan for the very poor quality of his officer corps. he has to get this ammunition to Russia, meanwhile the US is arming the Ukraine with some excellent battlefield weapons that Putin could only dream of. Don't underestimate the amount of intelligence the US has from their surveillance satellites and comms systems.

Putin is apparently down to Soviet era kit in a lot of cases as they’re running out of microchips to power the new stuff they have. Meanwhile Ukraine is using top flight modern and smart US and UK hardware. You hope some sort of end game is happening. Putin also can’t hide the 75,000 or so deaths now either. A huge number of families must have seen their family members literally disappear into the ether. The penny must be dropping that far from a glorious death liberating a country your son was shipped off in badly equipped battalions to kill women and children and far from an honorable death or burial in some foreign field probably ended up being swept out of a mobile crematorium with a broom and left in a pile on the pavement. 

42 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Putin is apparently down to Soviet era kit in a lot of cases as they’re running out of microchips to power the new stuff they have. Meanwhile Ukraine is using top flight modern and smart US and UK hardware. You hope some sort of end game is happening. Putin also can’t hide the 75,000 or so deaths now either. A huge number of families must have seen their family members literally disappear into the ether. The penny must be dropping that far from a glorious death liberating a country your son was shipped off in badly equipped battalions to kill women and children and far from an honorable death or burial in some foreign field probably ended up being swept out of a mobile crematorium with a broom and left in a pile on the pavement. 

Yes this. And estimated losses in Afghan over 10 years were 15 thousand . Reality is there will be at best murmuring but likely much worse from the Russian population.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It's about 50,000 Russian military deaths - Putin will maybe end up with the bits of Donetsk and Luhansk they had in early February but will likely lose Crimea

It'd be astonishing if the people of Russia find this acceptable & are willing to carry on as before

I think , not that we will ever know, its more than that and they reckon in any conflict 3 times this get wounded . That could account for upwards of 200,000 casualties which if true no country or military can survive that in such a short time. And with winter looming too which will make it far harder for Russia. Ukrainans are fighting for there beliefs and their country. Only one winner in my eyes ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1