Firm closing

finlo

14 hours ago, BriT said:

To be fair the DTC ratepayers do pay a heavy subsidy to Pulrose Golf Club. If the restaurant does turn over 150 Sunday lunches they could charge them a higher rent as I don’t see any Douglas ratepayers getting 10% off what they eat. I heard a slightly different version of your story above one where the guy running the chippy got the money to buy it from the covid loans issued to the old business. Manx gossip is always fairly toxic. 

Do we know how much the subsidy is even?  The last time I can anything explicit about the Golf Course in the Accounts is for the year 2016-17 which gives this breakdown:

image.png.910481bcd0cdbf453ae3d8ccd323afad.png

So the loss was around £150k, which seems fairly consistent over the years.  After that the Accounts get very vague with the stuff reported at Committee level, though there may be more information among the papers for those.

The 2016-17 accounts also include this interesting snippet:

image.png.61f85711857b09cc8ec2aa086eb7557c.png

So it looks as if they gave the total use of the Clubhouse to someone in return for them managing it.  I'm sure most businesses would like a deal like that from their landlord.

28 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

If N Korea are supplying they will only be triangulating Chinese kit and microchips to try to make it look like China isn’t supplying direct. 

True, but the Chinese support for Russia has been kind of tepid to be honest. 

Unless that's just a ruse.  But personally I think the Chinese are smart enough to see that Russia has backed itself into a corner from which there is no favorable exit and they don't want to be seen to be backing the loser (it will happen, just a matter of time).  But then maybe a good reason to route through Kim.  Although I've got a feeling the Chinese will want to hold onto as much materiel as they can for Taiwan. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am pretty sure I could have been a half decent rally driver but couldn’t ever afford it.  Where do you draw the line?

I'm looking forward to the Polo Pony rentals.  We've already got the infrastructure in place for them thanks to the Prom Trams. 

30 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

True, but the Chinese support for Russia has been kind of tepid to be honest. 

Unless that's just a ruse.  But personally I think the Chinese are smart enough to see that Russia has backed itself into a corner from which there is no favorable exit and they don't want to be seen to be backing the loser (it will happen, just a matter of time).  But then maybe a good reason to route through Kim.  Although I've got a feeling the Chinese will want to hold onto as much materiel as they can for Taiwan. 

China has no desire to prop up a rival, because in the long run they are rivals.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2022 at 4:27 AM, GD4ELI said:

Looks like they’re getting closer now it looks like Ukraine has turned things around

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11212515/Putins-limousine-hit-loud-bang-possible-attack.html

Rumours several of his security team have been “detained” 

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can't see the Daily Mail, I've banned myself from it on the router. Give me précis do.

Vladimir Putin's car was 'attacked' in what may have been an assassination attempt amid the Ukraine war, according to an unconfirmed claim.

His limousine was hit by a 'loud bang' on its 'left front wheel followed by heavy smoke', it is alleged.

The car drove to safety with Putin unharmed but there have been multiple arrests from his security service - while other bodyguards have vanished - amid claims that secret information about the 69-year-old ruler's movements was compromised, says General SVR Telegram channel.

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can't see the Daily Mail, I've banned myself from it on the router. Give me précis do.

It’s been covered by a few papers. Basically they claim someone tried to take his car out when he was traveling in a 5 car convoy in Moscow. Front wheel blew up but they managed to get it to safety. 

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I heard on a podcast this morning that a group previously close to him have turned on him and want him to 'resign'. I wonder if that's connected. Interesting. For a man who can't bear to leave his house, innocent or not innocent ever - it's certainly going to put the willies up him.

You feel it might be the start of the end game if it’s true and his own circle are closing in. You only hope he doesn’t go even more bonkers and have to be prized off the nuclear suitcase.