Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, mollag said:

The reason for importing is not price, it is quality,[ Very finely milled and often lauded as the best flour for making classic Neapolitan-style pizza with extra puffy crusts, 00 flour

Despite what folks have you believe, Manx flour is not the greatest in the world, as for price, Domestc bread flour in the UK is a third of the price of Laxey Flour, I checked last Friday in St Helens

There's a piece here about pending impact of wheat & electricity price rises on UK baking industry

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2022/04/01/Food-industry-warns-on-availability-as-supply-chain-strained

10 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

It is a private business.  It is nothing to do with Alf and neither should they have had to inform government of anything.

What makes you so sure it’s due to energy prices? They have been struggling for a long time.

It doesn’t take a genius to look at a business from the outside and see if they have spare money or not.  Vehicles, premises, websites, advertising spend.  All these things are an external indicator of how things are going

It has a potentially material economic impact, it would have been courteous to inform him or if they have received grants or other IOMG assistance it may be a requirement.  

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It has a potentially material economic impact, it would have been courteous to inform him or if they have received grants or other IOMG assistance it may be a requirement.  

Perhaps the directors of Ramsey Bakery have already spoken to IOMG and their MHKs but have got nowhere? 

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

What has it got to do with him?

Businesses have failed post COVID and will continue to fail as the Manx people want cheap goods shipped in and our costs are high.  Places can’t even get staff even if paying the recently increased by 15 percent minimum wage.

Government can’t just suddenly decide which ones they help out.  There are hundreds that didn’t receive a penny right through COVID while the owners sank further and further into debt.

Baking bread here and selling it isn’t viable due to the costs involved and the price a consumer is happy to pay vs the competition.  Simple.

The only way to stop that is to go back to bank g the import of bread, but then you set a precedent and we could say the same for everything.

People want cheap stuff and it isn’t viable for a local business to compete with manufacturers in the UK.  End of

Of course it is viable, as Noa and Ross bakery have proven. The problem for Ramsey Bakery is competition, not price. They should close the loss making shops all over the island, strip back what they produce, removing the least popular and least profit making items, reduce staff and downsize. Not saying it is simple, and there would still be many job losses but nothing like that of closing totally. 

With regard to price, there is nothing we can do about big supermarkets selling cheap bread and other things as loss leaders. It gets people through the doors and spending on other items priced to give them extra profit. It balances out. If you go to a corner shop in a village in England, you will pay the proper price for a loaf, which is similar to what Ramsey Bakery bread costs here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

From their own website: From the wheat, Laxey Glen Mills produces no less than 15 varieties of flour all of which are free from UK legislated additives. 

So do the UK mills, all used additives that are free from legislated additives, if you know of any mill using  legislated additives then report them, they would be breaking the law.

My knowledge of the "improving" of Manx milled wheat comes from my work at the mill and info from the then mill manager.

24 minutes ago, mollag said:

So do the UK mills, all used additives that are free from legislated additives, if you know of any mill using  legislated additives then report them, they would be breaking the law.

My knowledge of the "improving" of Manx milled wheat comes from my work at the mill and info from the then mill manager.

That doesn’t make sense, @mollag. In UK the use of the legislated additives (calcium, iron and thiamin) is compulsory under the Bread & Flour Additivd Regulations 1998. There are other additives that are not compulsory and are normally used. I understand Laxey adds some of them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That doesn’t make sense, @mollag. In UK the use of the legislated additives (calcium, iron and thiamin) is compulsory under the Bread & Flour Additivd Regulations 1998. There are other additives that are not compulsory and are normally used. I understand Laxey adds some of them.

Perhaps permitted additives would be a better description, I read "legislated" as being not permitted. 

2 minutes ago, mollag said:

Perhaps permitted additives would be a better description, I read "legislated" as being not permitted. 

There are compulsory ( legislated ) additives, permitted ( not banned ) and proscribed ( banned )  food additives for bread in UK

• Like 2