Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

The compulsory addition of certain additives goes back to post WW2, when there was some serious malnutrition. Putting these additives in bread was an easy way of medicating the masses. 

why didn't they put the covid vaccine in bread????? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Personally I only buy RB if there is nothing else available. I’ve always found it to be overpriced and with the built in lottery of whether or not you would have to wait for it to go stale, not worth the ‘buy local’ premium. On the other hand, I buy at least two loaves of NOA bread plus NOA bagels weekly. Yes, their bread is a bit more expensive than supermarket brands, but the quality is excellent and we always eat every last scrap of it. I have lost count of the part-loaves of RB bread I’ve thrown away.  I also stopped buying Manx milk when it went through a phase of being off before it was even opened, even when well within it’s sell by date. Again, I refuse to pay extra for an inferior product. 

Unfortunately if you charge too much and don’t keep up the quality, even with a captive audience, you’re onto a loser eventually when good alternatives become available. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WTF said:

why didn't they put the covid vaccine in bread????? 

OMG, could you imagine?

Iron is not the vital additive it was once thought to be.   Plenty of people have access to naturally iron-rich food such as green veg and red meat, our diet is much better these days.  Iron, in some people, can be accumulated leading to lots of health issues. Haemachromatosis is one condition and the main treatment is regular drawing off of 500ml of blood by venesection.  Iron supplementation in food (or multi vitamins) is just not necessary, and we would be better off giving iron tablets to those with anaemia than pumping it into staple food. 

Funnily enough, a side effect of venesection is anaemia, which for obvious reasons cannot be managed by iron supplements. 

These are the bread prices in Tesco. Even their Finest range is cheaper than normal RB. Either RB was too expensive or the other stuff too subsidised. 36p and 59p loafs surely are nothing more than loss leaders? 

A921834D-FBDA-4829-8916-2629C3315BFD.jpeg

F529A41F-3312-4F0F-AAD6-5551AF938EE2.jpeg

C41EC55D-365C-4814-B9E5-FAECF209C2DC.jpeg

9069DD92-1789-4342-87C4-13743D652D8F.jpeg

A257B7BA-C868-420B-9230-F49CCC811E68.jpeg

7AAF03DD-BF36-4BBC-AE90-FBD2D4251FBE.jpeg

402BE6DD-1A11-4959-ACF6-9A7F100E6D3B.jpeg

15155053-60B4-4597-9FAD-EC96224DD353.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

These are the bread prices in Tesco. Even their Finest range is cheaper than normal RB. Either RB was too expensive or the other stuff too subsidised. 36p and 59p loafs surely are nothing more than loss leaders? 

A921834D-FBDA-4829-8916-2629C3315BFD.jpeg

F529A41F-3312-4F0F-AAD6-5551AF938EE2.jpeg

C41EC55D-365C-4814-B9E5-FAECF209C2DC.jpeg

9069DD92-1789-4342-87C4-13743D652D8F.jpeg

A257B7BA-C868-420B-9230-F49CCC811E68.jpeg

7AAF03DD-BF36-4BBC-AE90-FBD2D4251FBE.jpeg

402BE6DD-1A11-4959-ACF6-9A7F100E6D3B.jpeg

15155053-60B4-4597-9FAD-EC96224DD353.jpeg

Or Tesco is purposely pricing the local produce out to benefit themselves..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Would you not normally attempt to sell a business like this as a going concern rather than just close?

Assume they want land for something else like housing, also if it’s loss making it’s not a going concern 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Assume they want land for something else like housing, also if it’s loss making it’s not a going concern 

Or its just a case of owners having done there bit and not willing or able to possibly upgrade machinery necessary to remain in business. If someone asked me to go back into business now at my age it would be not a chance ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Don't worry too much about local businesses after all, this government are happy to fire over in excess of £70 million and counting on somebody's wet dream project.

Every minute, every hour of every day to IOMG and it’s civil servants is a permanent wet dream. Wish lists, and budgets, rather like their imaginary friends.

I am inclined to pose a question - if it was Jersey or Guernsey in this position of their monopoly bakery closing, how would they react? Do any countries have state controlled bakeries? Arab countries have subsidised bread prices. Communist countries used set the rate at which bread can be sold at. 

5 hours ago, Markduc said:

The money to help RB should come out of the 42 million eco budget 

it will help keep the carbon footprint of our food down 

Yes that sounds like common sense. One slight snag - Daffy, and the Board will be spitting venom at having their budget eaten away. Personally I don’t think Daffy really cares about people, their jobs and the community. She is one a mission like a religious zealot and nothing will get in their way. Climate Change, Energy and Food Security are inter linked, so the pot should be used to subsidise the business, with strict conditions put in place. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1