Firm closing

finlo

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It would have been nice to have been told the right Facebook page the comment from one of the owners was on, but here it is in reply to someone mansplaining why their business was a failure:

I don't want to get into this really John but your theory as to why we are closing our business is completely and utterly wrong.

Our location has actually been very good for us, if anything it was way too small as the regular queues out of the door at weekends will attest. We have traded very successfully for the past 2.5 years, both as a cafe, bakery and outside caterer. Our business plan was excellent and we exceeded our financal goals, Laxey kitchen has been a profitable endeavour for us.

Our reasons for closing are many and varied and the current economic climate is absolutely a factor - it is brutal and basic operating costs have doubled in the past year, but mostly we want to spend more time with our kids and have more holidays! Thanks for your 2 penneth though . (my bold)

See it's much quicker to look things up that typing out insults.

That's good, thanks for the info. Combination of things then. Sad to see anyone having to give up but at least they can see the positives. Would be a challenging time for anyone to pick up the premises and do the same thing, so interested to see what will happen there.

Went to Brewers Fayre pub. Quality was the same as any H&B pub. I signed up for their emails beforehand.

I got an email with an offer before I went. Two courses for £10. Unlimited number of people and visits.

Keeps the revenue coming and people drinking....

Edited by snowman
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowman said:

Went to Brewers Fayre pub. Quality was the same as any H&B pub. I signed up for their emails beforehand.

I got an email with an offer before I went. Two courses for £10. Unlimited number of people and visits.

Keeps the revenue coming and people drinking....

"Buy one and get another for exactly the same price!" is H&B's idea of a promotional offer. They have absolutely no idea how to increase footfall and turnover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, Nellie said:

"Buy one and get another for exactly the same price!" is H&B's idea of a promotional offer. They have absolutely no idea how to increase footfall and turnover.

Looks like they're not doing the 'buy 6 get 1 free' offer on Carling and Okells beers this year

As someone else mentioned, in the late 90s the prom was one big nightclub.

There is no call for that anymore and therefore no need for normal pubs to go to before you go to a nightclub.

Going to the pub from work, before you go home is also something that is not done anymore, or if it is,  its only 50+ year olds that do as younger wives/ partners won't put up with it like they did in the "Good old Days" 🙂 

Pubs, like snail mail are a 20th Century thing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

They've never had to previously. They enjoyed a captive market with a near monopoly position and a population with a drinking culture for many years. They could charge the prices they wished, there was nowhere else to go.

Now they've expanded into other, probably more lucrative (to them) interests, the pub trade is failing for varied reasons, to include economic and social change, and they're happy to close pubs deemed no longer viable and let them deteriorate rather than letting other parties take them on and give it a go, a sure characteristic of a monopoly concern.

All of which is further contributing to the demise of the trade.

• Like 2