Firm closing

finlo

40 minutes ago, fredtosser said:

Hearing on the grapevine that BodyCraft Gym in Castletown have been locked out of the building by the landlord overnight.

Everyone is quick to attack the landlord.

There has been a listing on the courts schedule for debt management for MOP Holdings vs Bodycratt for many weeks.

If you enter a lease but can't pay the rent stated, why is the landlord a bastard??

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

There has been a listing on the courts schedule for debt management for MOP Holdings vs Bodycratt for many weeks.

If you enter a lease but can't pay the rent stated, why is the landlord a bastard??

The rent is fairly astronomical though by all accounts. 

22 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

You can blame the landlord, whether residential or commercial. If you have a business and can’t afford to pay for your premises, then you have to either seek help, find cheaper alternatives or close. Harsh but it’s life - unless you are well in with IOMG, then help, advice and financial support is no problem. 

When times were good, people were prepared to pay over the odds for premises, both residential and commercial. It’s starting to really bite now with changing consumer habits, working arrangements and lifestyles, especially since COVID.

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But that would have been the case when they entered the leases?

How much money does the landlord think a gym made over covid? It will be pennies. The world has changed. What a business owner might have thought was sustainable in 2019 radically changed in 2020. Sadly you can’t exit a bad lease unless the landlord let’s you exit a bad lease. I’m not surprised to see this happen if what I heard about the size of the rent is true.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

How much money does the landlord think a gym made over covid? It will be pennies. The world has changed. What a business owner might have thought was sustainable in 2019 radically changed in 2020. Sadly you can’t exit a bad lease unless the landlord let’s you exit a bad lease. I’m not surprised to see this happen if what I heard about the size of the rent is true.

And the Covid landscape probably made gym goers review their membership subscriptions - especially those who only went for a couple of weeks every January to fulfill their New Year's resolutions...but are paying year round.  I'd guess that type of membership is relied on by most gyms to stay afloat. 

• Like 1