Firm closing

finlo

9 minutes ago, Mysteron said:

And the Covid landscape probably made gym goers review their membership subscriptions - especially those who only went for a couple of weeks every January to fulfill their New Year's resolutions...but are paying year round.  I'd guess that type of membership is relied on by most gyms to stay afloat. 

I actually kept my gym membership over lockdowns. It cropped up when I was chatting to one of the staff there afterwards and even they were surprised and pleasingly thankful.  

I'm actually involved in a Company that also receives membership payments for services that couldn't have been used over Covid and a surprising amount of people did similar and sort of inspired me to make a similar gesture with my gym.

Although each case is about £30 a month, so no great drain on finances.  However I know cycle360 were charging about £100 per month.  I would definitely have cancelled that; although I'm not a MILF/trophy wife!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

Supply and demand.  I appreciate that is simplistic, but so is people complaining about astronomical rents. 

Nonsense supply and demand? Yeah there’s loads of people wanting to set up gyms I’m sure and Castletown is largely empty. The building next door is empty too and so is Barclays Bank across the road. Astronomically high rents to operate from a dead town. 

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Nonsense supply and demand? Yeah there’s loads of people wanting to set up gyms I’m sure and Castletown is largely empty. The building next door is empty too and so is Barclays Bank across the road. Astronomically high rents to operate from a dead town. 

Don’t think Barclays Bank is empty. Just reduced opening days/hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

There actually does seem to be a lot of new gyms or 'Wellness' (I hate that word context) places opening at the moment.  Even though I'm a regular gym goer, I's surprised there is sufficient demand. 

But yeah Castletown is a ghost town certainly mid week non summer. 

I would have thought getting another tenant in there will be tricky.  The landlord of a commercial building I've got involvement with, was remarkably flexible when it came to rent following Covid (it's not Osbourne).  Reduced rent is better than no rent I would have thought. 

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

There actually does seem to be a lot of new gyms or 'Wellness' (I hate that word context) places opening at the moment.  Even though I'm a regular gym goer, I's surprised there is sufficient demand. 

But yeah Castletown is a ghost town certainly mid week non summer. 

I would have thought getting another tenant in there will be tricky.  The landlord of a commercial building I've got involvement with, was remarkably flexible when it came to rent following Covid (it's not Osbourne).  Reduced rent is better than no rent I would have thought. 

Yes but I’ve tried to get hold of who told me the rent amount this morning but the figure they said to me about 18 months ago was ridiculous. A business needs to make a profit in order to pay exorbitant rents. A classic example is the old Noa / Osbornes shop on Fort St which up at £84K a year currently. You’d have to be mental to pay that for a rundown building during a recession. What could you possibly put into there that would make £84K a year affordable as a cost overhead?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but I’ve tried to get hold of who told me the rent amount this morning...

Oh yeah?

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

What could you possibly put into there that would make £84K a year affordable as a cost overhead?

A Meth lab. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

£84K a year currently. You’d have to be mental to pay that for a rundown building during a recession. What could you possibly put into there that would make £84K a year affordable as a cost overhead?

That's ridiculous.  I think a lot of people with investments in commercial property are going to take quite the hit over the next few years.  I would feel sorry for them, but generally they've been pretty ruthless and greedy over the last 10 years. 

The building I'm involved with is a warehouse of similar size, in one of the industrial estates in town and is £30k PA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3