Firm closing

finlo

20 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Seems there is very much two sides to the story, someone from the business saying 'We will say more when we are legally able to.'

I’d be putting money on his landlord pursuing the company for cash and trying to get its hands in any assets that are on the premises. Hence the sudden closure and ‘legal issues’ 

26 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Lots of people on Bodycraft faceache page complaining about pre-paid fees and so on.

Seems there is very much two sides to the story, someone from the business saying 'We will say more when we are legally able to.'

So I had a look, most people seem pretty sad, I struggle to see how you can fairly say 'lots of people complaining' about their fees. If anything the comments show how popular it was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Well, they won’t be re-opening anytime soon.  Rather large amount of rent still due….quite a figure. MOP changed locks, load of decent gym equipment for sale soon no doubt. 

You’re right you were posting as I was posting. But second hand gym equipment is literally worth nothing. If the debt is that big (I have heard rumours too) it won’t make a dent in it and he’ll be off pulling in those personal guarantees next. 

21 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

So I had a look, most people seem pretty sad, I struggle to see how you can fairly say 'lots of people complaining' about their fees. If anything the comments show how popular it was.

Sorry, bad use of wording. Not complaining, but stating. I think a lot of people will be losing out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I suppose if they paid with a card they might be able to get some funds back .

Not sure about this though but if they paid cash or bank transfer it's all gone .

I think you could reclaim for credit of debit card under S75 of the CCA. For all other forms of payment you’re basically stuffed I think. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Whilst sympathetic with the owners, Bodycraft vs MOP has been scheduled for summary court hearing for many weeks to be heard this week.

Not quite sure what they didn't know about.

She’s not saying they didn’t know about the court case there is she? Looks like they have had the locks changed and been locked out of their own premises. I bet they didn’t foresee that as part of the impending proceedings. You don’t sound to be sympathetic at all to be honest and largely supportive of the landlord. Situations like this are going to happen more frequently in future. It’s the general business climate.

Edited by BriT
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BriT said:

She’s not saying they didn’t know about the court case there is she? Looks like they have had the locks changed and been locked out of their own premises. I bet they didn’t foresee that as part of the impending proceedings. You don’t sound to be sympathetic at all to be honest and largely supportive of the landlord. Situations like this are going to happen more frequently in future. It’s the general business climate.

You can tell who NTT is. Supercilious, sneering, loves business owners and landlords and thinks it’s all fair game to see people totally destroyed as they think they’re on the winners team being so successful and that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

You can tell who NTT is. Supercilious, sneering, loves business owners and landlords and thinks it’s all fair game to see people totally destroyed as they think they’re on the winners team being so successful and that. 

If only! I have a longheld belief of removing the emotion from situations and looking at the facts.

This was a debt management issue at court. Bodycraft owe MOP money. The court clearly decided they (MOP) could foreclose on the lease in the circumstances.

Business owners find it hard to accept failings, it's just the way things are. Being pragmatic, this is an unfortunate event for sure, but in the simple rule of business: cash is king. They didn't have the cash to fix this and they won't be the only business that fails because of the same reason.

I hope they find a way through this and a new home. But this bash the landlord nonsense is getting tiring.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Business owners find it hard to accept failings, it's just the way things are. Being pragmatic, this is an unfortunate event for sure, but in the simple rule of business: cash is king. They didn't have the cash to fix this and they won't be the only business that fails because of the same reason.

I hope they find a way through this and a new home. But this bash the landlord nonsense is getting tiring.

Tiring for you maybe. But it’s clear from their FB page that there isn’t much sympathy for the landlord and loads of sympathy for them. The lease terms were known to be fairly horrendous. Many small businesses can’t keep up payments in this climate. I had heard the rent was well north of £50K. How can an owner be expected to accept any ‘failings’ when confronted with costs their business simply can’t bear the way the economy has turned? It’s a bit rich to claim you’re sympathetic when a lot of what you’ve posted isn’t sympathetic in the least. This is going to happen to a lot of small businesses and as the Phantom says above parts of the commercial property sector are just going to have to write off their expectations.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Tiring for you maybe. But it’s clear from their FB page that there isn’t much sympathy for the landlord and loads of sympathy for them. The lease terms were known to be fairly horrendous. Many small businesses can’t keep up payments in this climate. I had heard the rent was well north of £50K. How can an owner be expected to accept any ‘failings’ when confronted with costs their business simply can’t bear the way the economy has turned? It’s a bit rich to claim you’re sympathetic when a lot of what you’ve posted isn’t sympathetic in the least. This is going to happen to a lot of small businesses and as the Phantom says above parts of the commercial property sector are just going to have to write off their expectations.

They entered into the lease freely and knowing the terms, I presume. Of course there is sympathy for small businesses that fail, but the fact is that there seems to have been a breach of the lease which has entitled the landlord to take action to protect his position.  That's how things are  unless the law is changed.

That's not to say that I side with the landlord, but that is how it works.  Even a sympathetic landlord is not going to give any accommodation unless there is a real prospect of recovery very quickly  as he will want to protect his rights under the lease. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Maybe they are. But the tenant knows the terms they agree to and you cant assume the landlord will help. Next it'll be Government's fault!

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Maybe they are. But the tenant knows the terms they agree to and you cant assume the landlord will help. Next it'll be Government's fault!

Well Tim Glover has been on radio saying more help is needed for small businesses, not sure where he expects money from!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But you’re ignoring how the economy has changed. If you signed a lease 5 years ago in good faith you probably didn’t budget for your business being on and off closed for a year or more due to a global pandemic and the resultant change in usage of the service you offer as peoples routines changed. This isn’t going to be the only business that will be affected in this way. Plenty of bars and restaurants will be tied into leases that make no commercial sense now with the way things have changed. It’s not their fault that they can’t afford to pay as their turnover is down. There is no ‘blame’ in this situation. The last two years have been unprecedented and there’s even more to come yet. How many jobs lost if this goes under? Then times that by another 30 or more businesses that are probably in the same situation where similar things could occur. 

• Like 1