Firm closing

finlo

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Dilapidations, yes. Future rent, due to original expiry date of lease, no.

Gotta feel for the owner on that front.

Locked out, landlord could reopen same type of business in your place AND sting you for the dilaps.

That is a cruel world.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

In that case the court will evict him.

The tenant doesn’t have to go to court. The landlord does.

Thanks for all the info. The court order to change the locks, can it be done without the tenant's knowledge or representation? They (the tenants) claim they knew nothing about it. 

Edited by quilp

34 minutes ago, quilp said:

Thanks for all the info. The court order to change the locks, can it be done without the tenant's knowledge or representation? They (the tenants) claim they knew nothing about it. 

The tenant has to be served with papers. In this case the case was listed, so tenant must have been served.

Im not aware of any court order.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It’s the law in the Isle of Man, s.1 of the Landlord & Tenant (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976, that a landlord can’t evict or lock out a tenant without a court order. It applies to both domestic residential leases/tenancies or commercial ones. To evict/lockout without a court order can be a criminal offence.

Thanks. I'd assumed from your earlier post that the landlord in this case must've had an order to change the locks, given it being a criminal offence to do so without one. Yet the tenants claim it all came as a surprise.

Vague. 

17 minutes ago, quilp said:

Thanks. I'd assumed from your earlier post that the landlord in this case must've had an order to change the locks, given it being a criminal offence to do so without one. Yet the tenants claim it all came as a surprise.

Vague. 

I guess the outcome of the hearing may have come as a surprise and they didn't quite understand the ramifications?

If that's the case, they need new legal advisors.

6 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I guess the outcome of the hearing may have come as a surprise and they didn't quite understand the ramifications?

If that's the case, they need new legal advisors.

Such sympathy on display again. You really are a class act. I look forward to everyone on this forum laughing at every other trader turfed out as the economy fails even further this winter. Well done to our super car driving aristocracy! Another one bites the dust. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BriT said:

Castletown is a unique toxic brew. You have this guy who has a few high profile commercial premises around the square. Tilliard who has about 60 apartments and shops in the middle of town, and Arragon who have the remainder of Arbory and Malew Street together with the Japanese restaurant guy buying up all the holiday properties and shops around the quay. It’s like a colony of bald headed men fighting over a comb as the economic activity in the town is virtually bugger all. 

I remember wandering around in the early 70s while at KWC - a nice town then.

6 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I remember wandering around in the early 70s while at KWC - a nice town then.

Castletown is still nice. It just seems to be THE place in the IOM where every self made twat rolls up and tries to be Lord of the Manor. 

4 minutes ago, BriT said:

Castletown is still nice. It just seems to be THE place in the IOM where every self made twat rolls up and tries to be Lord of the Manor. 

Maybe, but I do remember all the small shops - a very different place to what it was last time I visited.