Firm closing

finlo

I’ve no idea whether or not the court has made an order. All I’m trying to do is explain the basics of the law.

If there was to be a hearing the tenant should have been notified. Whether they were, and whether they then attended is another matter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’ve no idea whether or not the court has made an order. All I’m trying to do is explain the basics of the law.

If there was to be a hearing the tenant should have been notified. Whether they were, and whether they then attended is another matter.

Should have been notified doesn't mean they were notified...

That more complicated than it first appears. Depends whether it’s reported to the police. Police will try and dodge the bullet and claim it’s a civil matter, it’s not. It’s at the intersection of criminal and civil law.

My experience is that the police will speak to the landlord, advise about the law ( if there is no court order ) and give him chance to unlock. Charging would only come if he didn’t.

Its possible to seek a court order to be allowed back in.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, Boo Gay'n said:

Going back to the original theme of this thread, here's Jas with his finger on the pulse of Manx society.  I would expect there to be riots if our good people cannot have a daily fix of stodgy bread - which must be fresh.  Assurances about bread supply security, indeed!

I know that this was mentioned in the new thread that JW locked, but has Manx politics really descended to this staggeringly petty level?  https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/purchase-of-mv-arrow-will-strengthen-islands-bread-supplies/

It beggars belief.  At least I can sleep more easily now knowing that the supply chain for bread is more secure, phew!

BTW Jas will probably be on the gym case now - isn't it where he goes to sweat?

Bread is just an euthorism to cover all the goods we need and the Arrow is a good little work horse.   It makes sense to purchase her rather than hire as over time it will probably save a few bob but more importantly she will always be available.  If I have spelled euthorism incorrectly…tough…you know what I mean.  🤣

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Bread is just an euthorism to cover all the goods we need and the Arrow is a good little work horse.   It makes sense to purchase her rather than hire as over time it will probably save a few bob but more importantly she will always be available.  If I have spelled euthorism incorrectly…tough…you know what I mean.  🤣

Presumably she won’t always be available as they’ll be leasing her out which makes their ludicrous bread claims even more ludicrous. Unless we’re spending €9 million just to keep it hanging around for the 2 or 3 days every 2 or 3 years that we need an emergency freight sailing. 

45 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

While your point is perfectly correct, I have to point out that not only have you misspelt 'euphemism', it's not an accurate word for what you meant, which is synecdoche: "a figure of speech in which a term for a part of something is used to refer to the whole".  And, yes, I had to look up how to spell it and, no, I don't know how to pronounce it.

1 hour ago, BriT said:

Presumably she won’t always be available as they’ll be leasing her out which makes their ludicrous bread claims even more ludicrous. Unless we’re spending €9 million just to keep it hanging around for the 2 or 3 days every 2 or 3 years that we need an emergency freight sailing. 

Arrow has been used much more frequently than that on Manx routes as relief, emergency, back up. And the terms on any sub charters the Steam Packet have negotiated always had a break clause on extremely short notice ( at end of any current passage ) to return to IoM.

In other words if they rent Arrow out to CalMac, or condor, and Ben goes tech, SPCo just has to pick up the phone and say “unload her at next port of call and return her to us”. My understanding is that the fees received by SPCo for sub charters have exceeded the fees paid by the SPCo for the charter from the previous owners.

1 hour ago, BriT said:

It's telling of the cut-and-paste way IOM Newspapers operate that what a "spokesperson from the business said" is actually copied directly from their Facebook post, even to leaving in what is clearly a predictive text typo ("negations" for "negotiations") that makes it nonsense.

But Moorhouse is right that such closures do have a knock-on effect to other businesses in the town (I'd imagine the coffee shop has been hit) and you wonder why the landlord is so speedy to get rid of such a long-standing tenant (if the latter is to be believed). 

I wonder if they are hoping to convert the building to flats and hoping the old trick of leaving a prominent building decaying will do the trick.   Of course this means even more life leaving the town - especially if new residents start complaining about the noise from the Union, the takeaways and so on.