Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

What if its not called beer ? 🤔 

Then that's fine as long as Alcohol tax is paid, but to do that it has to be beer , wine or spirit and I doubt it fits any of these categories

Edited by alpha-acid
spelling

15 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

You can not make beer from bread, It would be illegal to sell it on the Isle of Man, you would even have to get a new law passed to use it as well

There are companies who make beer from waste bread. Crumbs Brewing the obvious one.

Why would it be illegal to sell on the Isle of Man? 

3 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

There are companies who make beer from waste bread. Crumbs Brewing the obvious one.

Why would it be illegal to sell on the Isle of Man? 

Brewers Act 1874. You could sell it if it’s brewed off Island. But you can’t brew it here.

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1874/1874-0002/BrewersAct1874_1.pdf#page6

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Brewers Act 1874. You could sell it if it’s brewed off Island. But you can’t brew it here.

https://legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1874/1874-0002/BrewersAct1874_1.pdf#page6

Hooded Ram did and others - I think that act is up for interpretation and nothing has been done to enforce. Locally produced Oyster Stout wouldn't be the same without the Oysters and I know for a fact Noa Bread has been added to some local beers. 

"In addition to more hops, Hooded Ram also strays from the island’s norm with unique ingredients and styles.  As stated earlier, the Manx Brewing Purity Act is still in effect — that said, Hooded Ram is clearly pushing the limits with beers that include ingredient additions of chai, mint, chocolate, and other non-traditional brewing ingredients. When asked about the discrepancy related to the law, Hooded Ram’s Founder and recipe designer Rob Storey said it’s a gray area and the law is open to interpretation. “It’s a good question and one I have been seeking an answer to as no one is able to tell me what the repercussions are for not complying, but almost anything can now be added, and I believe so long as they are not “substituting” one of the four core ingredients they are “additions.”

https://byo.com/article/isle-of-man/

Flavourings are OK. And the government can issue a derogation. But here they seem to be looking at using the bread as the carbohydrate base, rather than grain.

The concentrate for oyster stout is added after brewing ( I think ) as was the caramel that coloured Castletown mild. By that stage it’s been brewed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Flavourings are OK. And the government can issue a derogation. But here they seem to be looking at using the bread as the carbohydrate base, rather than grain.

The concentrate for oyster stout is added after brewing ( I think ) as was the caramel that coloured Castletown mild. By that stage it’s been brewed.

I presume that if Noa were setting up, it would be an addition as long as they kept the core ingredients within the Act. There was an amendment in 1999 that allowed Wheat based beers, but I think this would still be a Malted beer with the addition of bread.

This is Noa bread used during the brewing process, as an additive.

2020-04-15-11-26-07.jpg

14 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

I presume that if Noa were setting up, it would be an addition as long as they kept the core ingredients within the Act. There was an amendment in 1999 that allowed Wheat based beers, but I think this would still be a Malted beer with the addition of bread.

2020-04-15-11-26-07.jpg

The link I posted above is the 1874 Act with the 1998 amendments. Neither wheat, Barley, Oats are specified. It’s “Malt” - germinated grain/cereal. The definition of Malt was not changed in 1998.

I’ve not checked if there are any derogation orders on the books.

Things like Oyster Stouts used to have shucked oysters in the brew. Oyster shells ( whole or ground ) were often added to fine and clear the brew.

21 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

2020-04-15-11-26-07.jpg

56 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Hooded Ram did and others - I think that act is up for interpretation and nothing has been done to enforce. Locally produced Oyster Stout wouldn't be the same without the Oysters and I know for a fact Noa Bread has been added to some local beers. 

"In addition to more hops, Hooded Ram also strays from the island’s norm with unique ingredients and styles.  As stated earlier, the Manx Brewing Purity Act is still in effect — that said, Hooded Ram is clearly pushing the limits with beers that include ingredient additions of chai, mint, chocolate, and other non-traditional brewing ingredients. When asked about the discrepancy related to the law, Hooded Ram’s Founder and recipe designer Rob Storey said it’s a gray area and the law is open to interpretation. “It’s a good question and one I have been seeking an answer to as no one is able to tell me what the repercussions are for not complying, but almost anything can now be added, and I believe so long as they are not “substituting” one of the four core ingredients they are “additions.”

https://byo.com/article/isle-of-man/

There appear to be 4 derogation exemptions - none include bread. They do include, specifically the things Rob Storey refers to. Looks as if there won’t be an issue getting permission.

910F5CF1-552F-45F8-A6C6-E79663299085.jpeg

F3765080-603A-4A2E-8297-A61092A0B021.jpeg

705144D0-1E25-4D03-AB5D-B2B06098A1D4.jpeg

AD067D04-2BD6-4FD0-B3D7-D06B877F2362.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There appear to be 4 derogation exemptions - none include bread. They do include, specifically the things Rob Storey refers to. Looks as if there won’t be an issue getting permission.

910F5CF1-552F-45F8-A6C6-E79663299085.jpeg

F3765080-603A-4A2E-8297-A61092A0B021.jpeg

705144D0-1E25-4D03-AB5D-B2B06098A1D4.jpeg

AD067D04-2BD6-4FD0-B3D7-D06B877F2362.jpeg

It was me that instigated those changes when I was Brewing at Okells

• Like 1