Firm closing

finlo

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

New Chinese owners from one of the new gaming companies. They’ve bought the old hooded ram pub site too.

I’ve been a few times since they opened in the new place and the food is far from terrible. 

Considerably better than most places. 

I can only speak as I I find. It was bloody awful when we went. 

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

If ever you were unfortunate enough to go into a storeroom in a Chinese restaurant, you’d probably never eat there ever again

Well years ago was in all the Chinese restaurant kitchens and store rooms and tbh they were the cleanest and best kept around. And dont even ask about the terrible conditions in most local establishments. The Golf links was easily the worst with maggots crawling out of the freezers . Replaced a chest freezer in the Mayflower in Castle street ( yes years ago) and they were waiting for us to pull it out with cleaner and hot water to scrub behind. Ohhh and dont talk to me about the guest houses and the likes on the front. Grasmere comes to mind. Disgusting .  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

Yes it's the starch, but that has to be broken down to simple carbohydrates for the yeast to be able to utilise it. You can do this by either adding enzymes or adding Malt

Surely the Malt is the sugar feeding the yeast then, as in normal brewing?. Maybe bread into beer comes from Gaol tales of secret brewing ? 

19 minutes ago, mollag said:

Surely the Malt is the sugar feeding the yeast then, as in normal brewing?. Maybe bread into beer comes from Gaol tales of secret brewing ? 

The bread would just be another source of food for the yeast. Bread is just a carbohydrate like malt and sugar. I cant see the point myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

The bread would just be another source of food for the yeast. Bread is just a carbohydrate like malt and sugar. I cant see the point myself.

Except its a complex Carbohydrate( Starch) which the yeast can't use without the intervention of enzymes added, from direct addition or the addition of malt

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Passing Time said:

If ever you were unfortunate enough to go into a storeroom in a Chinese restaurant, you’d probably never eat there ever again

Comment straight from the 1970s. Bet you'll come up with the Alsatian hanging in the fridge next, or something about rubbery soup.

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

HSBC putting in a planning application for where monsoon is currently located so looks like another business going

If HSBC are closing down their Victoria Street branch to move into Strand Street, it will probably to save money. They either use other offices for their other business, and the retail banking be done from Strand Street. I could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If HSBC are closing down their Victoria Street branch to move into Strand Street, it will probably to save money. They either use other offices for their other business, and the retail banking be done from Strand Street. I could be wrong though. 

I think the offices above existing retail unit are fully occupied by all the commercial teams/back office/admin etc so assume they will be staying