Firm closing

finlo

14 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

1880sniff Christmas menu £42pp, 3 courses ...

Is it transforming itself into The Ivy overnight?

No issue with that, or the prices may Harbour view Bistro mentioned earlier.

Actually had a very good meal at The Highwayman last week although the only other people in there were a knitting group.

Recent good meals also at The George, The Swan, The Bridge and the British.

The brewery pubs do seem to have upped their game.

Coast.  I could happily never go again.  It was overpriced for what we were served and really slow service.

Fig and Olive, also superb recently.  The new Turkish place where smearing was was very poor value.

The good places are still busy even at this time of year. When you start to see places like The Hawthorne quiet at weekends then it’s a bad sign.  Until then the places that are empty are with poor quality, poor value, badly advertised or in a crap location.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, woolley said:

That might rather depend on whom you say it to.

it was the pro TT and failed TT bike Marshall talking utter nonsense saying there are more MGP visitors than TT visitors.

But then again its more the fact who the moderator was that banned me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gizo said:

it was the pro TT and failed TT bike Marshall talking utter nonsense saying there are more MGP visitors than TT visitors.

But then again its more the fact who the moderator was that banned me.

Yeah it seems you can say whatever you want to @Stu Peters and not be held accountable. 

Disagree with certain mods and you're disciplined. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, The Phantom said:

That is the worst insult you can throw at a gym goer 😁  nobody likes leg day though.

It's genetics dude.  Some of just have skinny legs no matter how much we squat. 

Well now there is a trainer who is going to be in charge of a new gym at Prospect Hill. 

His father may or may not have carried out the fit out.

9 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Well now there is a trainer who is going to be in charge of a new gym at Prospect Hill. 

His father may or may not have carried out the fit out.

I've seen Mark Grace's PT son lurking about in the old Lloyds building... 

Just now, StCatherine said:

The Curry House in Castletown is up for sale. It’s not been much to shout about recently which is a shame as was good years ago. 

Cant see anyone wanting to take on the lease with Callows Yard.

It was good food and service a month ago when I was there but only two other tables on a Saturday night. 

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

No issue with that, or the prices may Harbour view Bistro mentioned earlier.

Actually had a very good meal at The Highwayman last week although the only other people in there were a knitting group.

Recent good meals also at The George, The Swan, The Bridge and the British.

The brewery pubs do seem to have upped their game.

Coast.  I could happily never go again.  It was overpriced for what we were served and really slow service.

Fig and Olive, also superb recently.  The new Turkish place where smearing was was very poor value.

The good places are still busy even at this time of year. When you start to see places like The Hawthorne quiet at weekends then it’s a bad sign.  Until then the places that are empty are with poor quality, poor value, badly advertised or in a crap location.

The Hawthorne is probably quiet because its not very good and the staff are miserable

They haven't upped their game since the refurb (or the menu last time I was there). It was ahead of the game when they started up to 6 or 7 years ago but if you stagnate you die

I can't believe your Coast comment. When did you last go? Its actually cheaper than many of the Brewery pubs are now. They also sell proper wine and not the cheapest shit they can get their hands on that the Brewery offer.

Saying that the Brewery pubs are miles ahead of where they were this time last year. The beer is great. If they get some proper wine I reckon they could really go somewhere.

17 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If you want overpriced go to La Parilla or whatever its called at the Villa.

15-20 quid for a burger on its own. Fiver extra for chips. Silly money.

Very few people want overpriced. The small number that do have better choices like Enzos, portofino, wine down and l'experience.

There's not much left on that market. It will likely fail at those prices. £36 for a steak too I noticed. 

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Very few people want overpriced. The small number that do have better choices like Enzos, portofino, wine down and l'experience.

There's not much left on that market. It will likely fail at those prices. £36 for a steak too I noticed. 

Rumour has it Portofino is shutting in the NY.

I've noticed Refuge is increasingly upping its game, but getting very pricey. Had a salmon dish in there 2 weeks ago and it was 25 quid at lunch, seemed excessive, but the place is always rammed.

Edited by NoTailT

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

£38 for fillet steak without sides!!! Apparently it’s been busy maybe because it’s new?

1 minute ago, Banker said:

£38 for fillet steak without sides!!! Apparently it’s been busy maybe because it’s new?

I can't see it lasting, we are also in the busy festive hospitality period. Its a very weird stray considering its the same people as The Sound and Bradda Glen, both very reasonably priced and nice venues.

• Like 1