Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, NoTailT said:

If you want overpriced go to La Parilla or whatever its called at the Villa.

15-20 quid for a burger on its own. Fiver extra for chips. Silly money.

Bloody tasty thou'.

Do the loaded chips for that price.

Prepared well.

A pile of food on a plate does not signify quality - usually quite the opposite.  

Their Quilmes beer is rather appealing too.  

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

i've seen mark grace lurking around the old lloyds building

Suntera's new office and Victory House are another Mark Grace special with Rose Estates I think it is. It used to be 55 Athol Street and Tevir. Before that it was Raj.

I think they're building a gym where the old Lloyd's branch used to be on Prospect Hill.

He's clearly given up on the flop that is 34 Hope Street after he talked the landlord there in to spending fortunes renovating the place.

Edited by NoTailT

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think they're building a gym where the old Lloyd's branch used to be on Prospect Hill.

He's clearly given up on the flop that is 34 Hope Street after he talked the landlord there in to spending fortunes renovating the place.

Yeah seems to be his son setting up the gym.

The old IOMA building has got a cool live ferny/mossy wall though!

34 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It's still the IOMA building...

Well yeah, but there's only a few of them in there and understand they'll be out soon. As will Plan, their new building is virtually done. So the whole place will be empty.

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Rumour has it Portofino is shutting in the NY.

I've noticed Refuge is increasingly upping its game, but getting very pricey. Had a salmon dish in there 2 weeks ago and it was 25 quid at lunch, seemed excessive, but the place is always rammed.

It’s definitely closing after Xmas. Amazing he’s hung on so long.

Refuge have the model about right. Clientele who are prepared to pay extra for decent food and a nice informal environment and good functions after hours. It’s a million miles away from the grotty coffee shop where the owner couldn’t afford to buy Manx milk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

It’s definitely closing after Xmas. Amazing he’s hung on so long.

Refuge have the model about right. Clientele who are prepared to pay extra for decent food and a nice informal environment and good functions after hours. It’s a million miles away from the grotty coffee shop where the owner couldn’t afford to buy Manx milk. 

Portofino just advertised fir new chef so odd they’re closing but the rent must be astronomical!

29 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

They’re closing. The rent as I understand it is astronomical but then again the land lord is (or at least perhaps was when the rent was set) Raj Chatta. 

I think I remember someone saying saying it was about 10k/month rent.

I've said this in other similar discussions (I think it was ref bodycraft), it may be astronomical but that's the lease the tenant entered into. Cannot blame landlords for that. If it sat empty gathering dust because of astronomical rents, that is an issue.

Edited by NoTailT

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I think I remember someone saying saying it was about 10k/month rent.

I've said this in other similar discussions (I think it was ref bodycraft), it may be astronomical but that's the lease the tenant entered into. Cannot blame landlords for that. If it sat empty gathering dust because of astronomical rents, that is an issue.

A business can pay only what it can afford to pay. In a recession the turnover v cost base equation changes. Many landlords are now being challenged to renegotiate for turnover based leases. If the lease there really is £10k a month then the landlord is basically pissing in the wind as you can’t possibly service that from a niche restaurant. So basically you do a deal on the rent, or you leave it empty for zero return. Nobody else is going to come rushing in at £10K a month. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Driving through Douglas tonight.

Mrs Yiangs looked packed. Just Pizza Pasta, packed. Refuge, packed. Oscars, packed.

Long live the festive season..

The new cocktail and light bite bar at Mrs Yangs is pretty good.

Not technically a new opening, but an expansion into new premises and a new market

Good on them.  The restaurant as has been there for a few years is always busy at weekends for good reason.

• Like 5

On 12/1/2022 at 5:07 PM, Happier diner said:

The Hawthorne is probably quiet because its not very good and the staff are miserable

They haven't upped their game since the refurb (or the menu last time I was there). It was ahead of the game when they started up to 6 or 7 years ago but if you stagnate you die

I can't believe your Coast comment. When did you last go? Its actually cheaper than many of the Brewery pubs are now. They also sell proper wine and not the cheapest shit they can get their hands on that the Brewery offer.

Saying that the Brewery pubs are miles ahead of where they were this time last year. The beer is great. If they get some proper wine I reckon they could really go somewhere.

I find the Hawthorn fine and the staff are certainly not miserable.

Going back to Coast it’s certainly not cheap. I had fish chips and peas for lunch, whilst OK was pretty expensive and would probably have got the same quality in say the British for 20% less and the ambience and service would not be any less.

I don’t know what you think is “proper wine” but again that was OK but expensive. 
You can get a “ proper” wine in Brewery pubs,or indeed any independent restaurant at a dining out market price.  I don’t think any brewery pubs or Coast employ a dedicated sommelier so you have to know a little bit about wine and what you like.

I would say we recently went to L’experience for lunch ,  having avoided it for many years due to the what I found claustrophobic atmosphere in the old premises ( my problem not theirs)

Similar price  but the food and overall dining experience knocked Coast into a cocked hat.

Anyway each to their own. One man’s floor is another man’s ceiling ( as Paul Simon once said)

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

on’t think any brewery pubs or Coast employ a dedicated sommelier so you have to know a little bit about wine and what you like.

Try Oscars.  Brewery, but they always seem pretty knowledgeable on the drinks and recommend things for the Mrs to try.

I don’t do wine so it’s not an issue for me.  Food in Oscars is pretty good as well since it reopened.