Firm closing

finlo

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I find the Hawthorn fine and the staff are certainly not miserable.

Going back to Coast it’s certainly not cheap. I had fish chips and peas for lunch, whilst OK was pretty expensive and would probably have got the same quality in say the British for 20% less and the ambience and service would not be any less.

I don’t know what you think is “proper wine” but again that was OK but expensive. 
You can get a “ proper” wine in Brewery pubs,or indeed any independent restaurant at a dining out market price.  I don’t think any brewery pubs or Coast employ a dedicated sommelier so you have to know a little bit about wine and what you like.

I would say we recently went to L’experience for lunch ,  having avoided it for many years due to the what I found claustrophobic atmosphere in the old premises ( my problem not theirs)

Similar price  but the food and overall dining experience knocked Coast into a cocked hat.

Anyway each to their own. One man’s floor is another man’s ceiling ( as Paul Simon once said)

Yes. We are all different. I think that (well apart from the dreaded hawthorn with their pre cooked sliced beef) they are all establishments that know their market and adapt accordingly. These are the type of places that succeed. 

It's the ones that don't. That don't.

There is nothing wrong with the market here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t know what you think is “proper wine” but again that was OK but expensive. You can get a “ proper” wine in Brewery pubs,or indeed any independent restaurant at a dining out market price. 

No you can only get “terrible wine” in most brewery pubs for about £3 a glass more than it’s worth. 

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No you can only get “terrible wine” in most brewery pubs for about £3 a glass more than it’s worth. 

I suppose its subjective. But I agree with you. It has improved slightly over the years but sadly their enthusiasm for beers is no way matched by their enthusiasm for wines. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Oscars, packed

Oscars have very limited opening hours now- Thurs and Fri evenings, all day Saturday, Sunday daytime. Which is the direction more places will be going in.

21 hours ago, Cambon said:

I noticed Dunwells was open yesterday. All new staff, from what I could see. 

Looks like the place has had a refurb too.

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I suppose its subjective. But I agree with you. It has improved slightly over the years but sadly their enthusiasm for beers is no way matched by their enthusiasm for wines. 

That is strange because they have lots of senior staff who are trained in wine but no one like that for beer

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Oscars have very limited opening hours now- Thurs and Fri evenings, all day Saturday, Sunday daytime. Which is the direction more places will be going in.

I had a panic the other week with a client coming over on a Monday and trying to find any decent place to eat that’s actually open on a Monday. It’s only going to get worse.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, NoTailT said:

umour has it Portofino is shutting in the NY.

Good. 
never have i been food raped as much as this place.

then that ‘Italian’ convince you to spend an additional £150 per shot on the “aged” brandy. When everyone knows it’s a 10 quid coop brandy. 

C&£T

• Haha 4