Firm closing

finlo

I see Thorntons are closing down all their chocolate shops ,  mind you things must be pretty bad when you can buy their sweets in Deals cheaper than you can in their shops , sign of the time I suppose , the retail sector are putting a brave face on at the moment  but I guess its going to be a tough Christmas ,and an even tougher new year , but I must say Strand street has come to life again since the reintroduction  of the promenade parking, so what message does that send out to the city fathers , we need better parking facilities , and not just for electric scooters ,  convenience and  ease of access  is everything to the retail sector 

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I checked out of intrigue with one of his close pals and you're wrong. He owns the entire Clinches complex including Mrs Yangs, what was Gali Kitchen and also the former Hooded Ram. Along with Quay dental, pizziaolo, Just Pizza Pasta and all the apartments above them.

I suspect they may have said something to you to perceive the truth, it's not uncommon in these types of scenarios. Maybe a way to hide the fact he was a potential backer? No idea why, but you're wrong about who owns what.

Aye ok mate.

He said he sold it to them.

They say they’ve bought it from him.

But they’re both wrong so you can be right on Manx Forums 😂 

8 hours ago, Omobono said:

I see Thorntons are closing down all their chocolate shops ,  mind you things must be pretty bad when you can buy their sweets in Deals cheaper than you can in their shops , sign of the time I suppose , the retail sector are putting a brave face on at the moment  but I guess its going to be a tough Christmas ,and an even tougher new year , but I must say Strand street has come to life again since the reintroduction  of the promenade parking, so what message does that send out to the city fathers , we need better parking facilities , and not just for electric scooters ,  convenience and  ease of access  is everything to the retail sector 

If you think the reason that town is a bit busier in November and early December is because they have opened a few extra parking spots for the terminally lazy rather than anything else, then you might want to take a look at places like Ramsey and Tynwald Mills who have also seen a mysterious increase in footfall despite the parking situation being the same as ever.

Strangely, the same seems to be happening all over Britain.  Strange

Edited by Asthehills

14 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

If you think the reason that town is a bit busier in November and early December is because they have opened a few extra parking spots for the terminally lazy rather than anything else, then you might want to take a look at places like Ramsey and Tynwald Mills who have also seen a mysterious increase in footfall despite the parking situation being the same as ever.

Strangely, the same seems to be happening all over Britain.  Strange

If its anything like my family, stress over postal strikes, amazon presenting IOM delivery dates of 22-23rd Dec for ordering now etc.

'Fast Fashion' in the UK is order till 10pm and still get it next day. Here it's just popping to Strand Street.

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If its anything like my family, stress over postal strikes, amazon presenting IOM delivery dates of 22-23rd Dec for ordering now etc.

'Fast Fashion' in the UK is order till 10pm and still get it next day. Here it's just popping to Strand Street.

I think the Postal Union trying to stay in the 1970s by calling strikes every day is causing lots of people to use local shops across UK 

10 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Not a business closing, but a rumour doing the rounds today is that M&S have had management over looking at plans to refurbish the store with a much bigger food hall. 

It would make sense - parts of the store are looking a bit shabby now. 

Some time ago they announced that their clothing side was not performing but their food halls were doing very well.  Seems it may be a change in focus throughout. 

9 hours ago, Omobono said:

I see Thorntons are closing down all their chocolate shops ,  mind you things must be pretty bad when you can buy their sweets in Deals cheaper than you can in their shops , sign of the time I suppose , the retail sector are putting a brave face on at the moment  but I guess its going to be a tough Christmas ,and an even tougher new year.

We’re going to see a lot of hospitality and retail failures in the new year. Nevermind there were hoards of traffic wardens swarming around all the extra parking yesterday so that the DOI business prevention department can feed off the festive good cheer. Ho ho ho .. that’s £60 for being 3 minutes over on your disk chief! 

10 hours ago, AOR said:

Some M&S have shut down in cities and large towns in UK but they retain just an M&S Foodhall.

34 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Some time ago they announced that their clothing side was not performing but their food halls were doing very well.  Seems it may be a change in focus throughout. 

If M&S would introduce shopping on line at Drumgold Street their sales would go through the roof. I wouldn’t mind if it was click & collect or delivery

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

If M&S would introduce shopping on line at Drumgold Street their sales would go through the roof. I wouldn’t mind if it was click & collect or delivery

They got rid of collection by car which was great for many, you could just go for a coffee, go to other shops etc & then pick up shopping in car without having to pay for parking above store.

Scrapped due to cost of keeping staff to deal with it all day 

51 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

We’re going to see a lot of hospitality and retail failures in the new year. Nevermind there were hoards of traffic wardens swarming around all the extra parking yesterday so that the DOI business prevention department can feed off the festive good cheer. Ho ho ho .. that’s £60 for being 3 minutes over on your disk chief! 

Depends.

Those struggling already maybe.

Don’t think the hospitality closures will be as bad as people think.

42 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not sure what you mean.

Ive bought stuff online from M & S and had it both delivered and collected it ( and on occasion returned it) myself from Drumgold Street 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Not a business closing, but a rumour doing the rounds today is that M&S have had management over looking at plans to refurbish the store with a much bigger food hall. 

It would make sense - parts of the store are looking a bit shabby now. 

No doubt the men's clothing department will take another hit, they will be down to a single rail soon.

• Like 1