Firm closing

finlo

14 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Not a business closing, but a rumour doing the rounds today is that M&S have had management over looking at plans to refurbish the store with a much bigger food hall. 

It would make sense - parts of the store are looking a bit shabby now. 

Is this another of your mates who happens to work at M&S

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not sure what you mean.

Ive bought stuff online from M & S and had it both delivered and collected it ( and on occasion returned it) myself from Drumgold Street 

It’s in the context of food. Always look at the context. They only do Xmas food on a pre order collection basis.

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Ive bought stuff online from M & S and had it both delivered and collected it ( and on occasion returned it) myself from Drumgold Street 

M&S online furniture is the best. You buy online and the guys at Manx Indy also assemble it for you under the contract they have with M&S. It’s hard to beat that proposition when as an alternative you go to B&B to be told what you want is 100 weeks delivery and would you mind awfully paying every penny up front to give us free cash flow for months on end. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

M&S online furniture is the best. You buy online and the guys at Manx Indy also assemble it for you under the contract they have with M&S. It’s hard to beat that proposition when as an alternative you go to B&B to be told what you want is 100 weeks delivery and would you mind awfully paying every penny up front to give us free cash flow for months on end. 

100 weeks ???? brilliant , they'e not quite that bad but it's the same everywhere.  the annoyance for me is that they won't sell you the floor model that is just sat there but i do understand why that is.

6 hours ago, Banker said:

They got rid of collection by car which was great for many, you could just go for a coffee, go to other shops etc & then pick up shopping in car without having to pay for parking above store.

Scrapped due to cost of keeping staff to deal with it all day 

Wasn't it because the lift they used for it broke?

34 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I do wonder why Shoprite don't try doing delivery and online ordering. Considerable investment, but I imagine it'd work.

Don't COOP do delivery down north too?

Co-op were offering delivery in Douglas/Onchan/Braddan when the new Crosby store opened. Haven't tried recently but I could never find a slot. 

Shoprite would probably do ok with online orders but I would be wary about the shelf life of things from them.

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

I do wonder why Shoprite don't try doing delivery and online ordering. Considerable investment, but I imagine it'd work.

shopshite have an outlet in most major towns, 2 in some,  so people can easily get to them , tescos have 1 outlet so delivery is a reasonable idea to spread sales to a wider audience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Don't COOP do delivery down north too?

I'm picturing re-liveried banged up ex-Ramsey Bakery & Post Office vans, Manx Radio blaring and clouds of black diesel smoke. At 30p a bag, I don't see it would be cost effective for the average Shoprite shopper. 

20 hours ago, Omobono said:

I see Thorntons are closing down all their chocolate shops ,  mind you things must be pretty bad when you can buy their sweets in Deals cheaper than you can in their shops , sign of the time I suppose , the retail sector are putting a brave face on at the moment  but I guess its going to be a tough Christmas ,and an even tougher new year , but I must say Strand street has come to life again since the reintroduction  of the promenade parking, so what message does that send out to the city fathers , we need better parking facilities , and not just for electric scooters ,  convenience and  ease of access  is everything to the retail sector 

I did a marketing course about 10 years ago and we had to come up with a plan for Thorntons. My genius idea of '50 shades of brown' didn't go down as well as I'd hoped!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4