Firm closing

finlo

4 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Couldn't agree more. Your nose will tell you if it's iffy. One of my son's throws food out if it's a bloody hour past its sell by date - lunacy

Agreed.  I watched a family member throw, must have been, 10 eggs in the bin because they were past the UBD.  Bonkers.  Crack it into a cup if you are not sure and sniff. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Passing Time said:

what do you expect - It's from Robinsons

One thing I've never understood about Shoprite is why they put up with the produce from Robinson's. It's not like this is a short term relationship, and the price comparison with Tesco is eye-watering.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

One thing I've never understood about Shoprite is why they put up with the produce from Robinson's. It's not like this is a short term relationship, and the price comparison with Tesco is eye-watering.

Personally when using ShopRite I find the veg to be fine but agree the soft fruit is very expensive, find co-op best for price & quality 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Agreed.  I watched a family member throw, must have been, 10 eggs in the bin because they were past the UBD.  Bonkers.  Crack it into a cup if you are not sure and sniff. 

Or see if it floats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I used to collect fruit and veg from Liverpool fruit market and often saw the Robinson's buyer there. One reason I never buy fruit or veg from Robinson's

7 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I used to collect fruit and veg from Liverpool fruit market and often saw the Robinson's buyer there. One reason I never buy fruit or veg from Robinson's

Where do you think they get their fruit and veg from?  You can’t get many local mangos, kiwi or bananas?

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Robinson's fruit and veg from the depot is very good. It's probably the best place on the island to buy fruit and veg - it almost makes up for us not having markets. It's a fantasic shop though rather pricey.

It must be something about how that stuff ends up in Shoprite which is the problem.

I wish we had an Aldi instead of Shoprite. Shoprite seems to me to charge very much more than Sainsburys for Sainsburys branded basics and essentials. Certainly all of the products I have compared. I am not talking about a few pence - often a conserable percentage. So the Tesco branded versions seem to be much cheaper than the Sainsburys branded equivalents at Shoprite. Which makes a joke of their Tesco price matching. They only ever seem to price match on the big brands - which nobody who cares about price matching will be buying.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Didn't my mother have some sort of test where she put an egg in a bowl of water and if it sank it was still good to use? 

On 12/6/2022 at 4:10 PM, NoTailT said:

I do wonder why Shoprite don't try doing delivery and online ordering. Considerable investment, but I imagine it'd work.

Don't COOP do delivery down north too?

Basic economics. The success of the supermarket model is that the customer picks their own shopping, transports it to the checkout and then home.

No supermarket has ever made any money from picking and delivering shopping for peanuts, even with economies of scale not available to Shoprite or any other supermarket here. Why do you think Tesco's service is chronically, massively over subscribed?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Expat. said:

Didn't my mother have some sort of test where she put an egg in a bowl of water and if it sank it was still good to use? 

Yes that is a test, but the nose test is just as good and, tbh, I have never had a bad egg.  There is plenty online about eggs and how they are still OK well after the UBD. 

It's just wasteful to chuck stuff that is past its date.  If it looks and smells OK, use it.  It may not be at its prime but it is unlikely to give you food poisoning, in my experience.  That seems to be more about handling and storing correctly once cooked. 

But I am not a food technician, so some may have different views.