Firm closing

finlo

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes that is a test, but the nose test is just as good and, tbh, I have never had a bad egg.  There is plenty online about eggs and how they are still OK well after the UBD. 

It's just wasteful to chuck stuff that is past its date.  If it looks and smells OK, use it.  It may not be at its prime but it is unlikely to give you food poisoning, in my experience.  That seems to be more about handling and storing correctly once cooked. 

But I am not a food technician, so some may have different views. 

I agree. Some eggs have best before dates. Doesn't mean they are rotten but no longer fresh. Perfectly fine for most purposes though. 

2 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Robinson's fruit and veg from the depot is very good. It's probably the best place on the island to buy fruit and veg - it almost makes up for us not having markets. It's a fantasic shop though rather pricey.

It must be something about how that stuff ends up in Shoprite which is the problem.

I wish we had an Aldi instead of Shoprite. Shoprite seems to me to charge very much more than Sainsburys for Sainsburys branded basics and essentials. Certainly all of the products I have compared. I am not talking about a few pence - often a conserable percentage. So the Tesco branded versions seem to be much cheaper than the Sainsburys branded equivalents at Shoprite. Which makes a joke of their Tesco price matching. They only ever seem to price match on the big brands - which nobody who cares about price matching will be buying.

The Sainsbury's stuff in Shoprite is generally 20 - 30% more than the price of the item in Sainsbury's (from my own experience). 

The Tesco price match is also a joke as they only compare prices to the full RRP in Tesco and don't account for Tesco offers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

The Sainsbury's stuff in Shoprite is generally 20 - 30% more than the price of the item in Sainsbury's (from my own experience). 

The Tesco price match is also a joke as they only compare prices to the full RRP in Tesco and don't account for Tesco offers.

A full shop in Shop rite usually costs me 20% more than in Tesco, that's the harsh reality.

Now Tesco had Manx Meats too, it's my preferred place to shop.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

More people taken in by the retail scam which is sell by/best by dates. 

Shhh!  The more who are taken in, the fewer who will be going for the yellow label stuff.

Actually the best before dates are still useful as it quickly tells you how recent the stuff is (particularly important for pre-packed stuff) even though it's stupid to throw stuff out just because it passes it.

1 hour ago, genericUserName said:

Robinson's fruit and veg from the depot is very good. It's probably the best place on the island to buy fruit and veg - it almost makes up for us not having markets. It's a fantasic shop though rather pricey.

It must be something about how that stuff ends up in Shoprite which is the problem.

I wish we had an Aldi instead of Shoprite. Shoprite seems to me to charge very much more than Sainsburys for Sainsburys branded basics and essentials. Certainly all of the products I have compared. I am not talking about a few pence - often a conserable percentage. So the Tesco branded versions seem to be much cheaper than the Sainsburys branded equivalents at Shoprite. Which makes a joke of their Tesco price matching. They only ever seem to price match on the big brands - which nobody who cares about price matching will be buying.

Maybe it's something to do with the time taken from Robinson's to the Shoprite customer then. That should be possible to address.

World of difference between Shoprite and Aldi. Aldi has genuinely low margins, and I can't see their business model working here considering the additional costs involved of shipping, labour, power, dealing with a separate jurisdiction for tax, NI etc. I suppose it's only to be expected that Shoprite will sell Sainsbury's items at an additional margin given that they are buying from Sainsbury's. I doubt that they are going to be getting much of a discount, and it still has to be shipped and handled which all costs. From what I've seen, the prices seem to be regularly between 20% and 30% higher then Sainsbury's. Also, Sainsbury's used to have a cache about it for high quality, a bit like Waitrose, but now it's just another supermarket. Why buy Sainsbury's at Shoprite prices when you can buy Tesco at, er, Tesco prices? I know there's the "support a local company" angle, but in hard times it's a lot to expect. Your comments on the price matching are spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

I don't think so. I frequent Tesco both here and there. Everything looks the same price to me. Examples? Apart from Manx produce, obviously.

Tesco pricing varies across Britain too. The same with most supermarkets.

Reality Check: Do UK supermarkets vary prices by area? - BBC

Typically by small amounts.

Edited by genericUserName

12 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Tesco pricing varies across Britain too. The same with most supermarkets.

Reality Check: Do UK supermarkets vary prices by area? - BBC

Typically by small amounts.

Yes, I was aware of that Reality Check article, and it rather indicates the opposite. It says they operate national pricing, as is my experience.

My request for examples of differences was a genuine enquiry out of curiosity. I know that it's urban legend, and has been for many years, that Tesco prices are more expensive here than across, but my experience over a long time is that it is untrue.

50 minutes ago, woolley said:

Yes, I was aware of that Reality Check article, and it rather indicates the opposite. It says they operate national pricing, as is my experience.

My request for examples of differences was a genuine enquiry out of curiosity. I know that it's urban legend, and has been for many years, that Tesco prices are more expensive here than across, but my experience over a long time is that it is untrue.

In the early days of living back on the IOM, I thought our Tesco prices were set at the Tesco Express level which were pennies dearer than the superstores.  Can't say I have done any comparison recently, but I thought someone here said they just follow the same pricing across all their stores, here included.