Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

In the early days of living back on the IOM, I thought our Tesco prices were set at the Tesco Express level which were pennies dearer than the superstores.  Can't say I have done any comparison recently, but I thought someone here said they just follow the same pricing across all their stores, here included. 

Certainly for the past 8 years the prices have been the same here as there. I think that's a good deal for us.

19 minutes ago, woolley said:

Certainly for the past 8 years the prices have been the same here as there. I think that's a good deal for us.

16 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That sounds about right. 

I agree. The things we buy regularly have always been the same price in the UK, apart from milk. But then they don't do IOM creamery milk in the England.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Some things are more expensive. Bread and local milk. Some offers aren’t available here.

I occasionally try and check out in Lancaster at my childhood address/post code. It’s never much on a basket.

M&S are the same.

5 hours ago, woolley said:

Yes, I was aware of that Reality Check article, and it rather indicates the opposite. It says they operate national pricing, as is my experience.

My request for examples of differences was a genuine enquiry out of curiosity. I know that it's urban legend, and has been for many years, that Tesco prices are more expensive here than across, but my experience over a long time is that it is untrue.

I think what you, and @genericUserName have missed however is that the Reality Check article and the 2000 report are limited to Great Britain. They don’t examine price differential between GB & NI.

Both reports are pre Brexit.

I am aware, from the Tesco licensing case, that NI pricing ( and offer availability ) is different to that on GB.

I suspect IoM is the same.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I don't think it's been quite that long.   5-6 years ago a lot of basic and own brand items used to be a bit more expensive in the Tesco here as against the standard price on the website (if you don't log on or give a location).  From memory it was about 5% extra.  Special offers and luxury lines tended to be the same price, wherever.  That then altered and the prices then lost that mark-up here. 

There's been the odd exception more recently and it may be that they are thinking about reintroducing it, but it could just be stuff being mis-entered at Tesco HQ. They certainly still have the ability to charge differently.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s the ubiquitous Tesco Club Card that annoys me.

You would be a fool to shop in Tesco’s without one.

And we all know why that is

No we don't, educate us please.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think what you, and @genericUserName have missed however is that the Reality Check article and the 2000 report are limited to Great Britain. They don’t examine price differential between GB & NI.

Both reports are pre Brexit.

I am aware, from the Tesco licensing case, that NI pricing ( and offer availability ) is different to that on GB.

I suspect IoM is the same.

NI may be a special case with the single market stuff. I have no experience of Tesco there, so it might be so, but I am unqualified to comment. I have lots of experience of IoM v various parts of the UK. The prices are the same across the board. I don't suspect it, I know it. We even get the same Aldi price matches despite not having an Aldi here, and this matching extends to some of the bread range. If you are hard up enough to want their 39p large sliced loaf, then you can have it here just as you can in the UK. I appreciate the vague possibility that there might be the very odd item I am not aware of that does not conform to the pattern, but why would there be, when the overwhelming majority does?

Not sure what "the Tesco licensing case" is. Do you mean alcohol? Obviously that could differ in Scotland because of the minimum unit pricing legislation. However, it so happens that we have purchased a number of alcohol items both here and in the UK over the past 10 days. Same price. Same offers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You would be a fool to, I agree. Doesn't annoy me though because I have one. It's a no brainer.

• Like 2

rumour is they are doing away with the club card, not sure where i heard that.

I have had a Club Card probably from when they were first introduced.  It used to be they would give you coupons, in addition to the reward coupons, that gave discounts on items they knew (I assumed from data collected) you were interested in. You don't get those so much now, so the simple way it operates now is probably easier for them to administer and actually works quite well.

I know Tesco are regarded as the devil incarnate, but I like their quality, range and value.  Not top end but, on the whole taking all three, reasonable.  Shoprite comes nowhere near, IMHO.  They may be locally owned and all that, but their offering across those three criteria does not inspire loyalty.  

Tesco also seem to do much more for the community supporting local charities and have soft plastic recycling facilities, all of which points to a more aware ethos. Of course, they are still there to make a profit, what business isn't?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have had a Club Card probably from when they were first introduced.  It used to be they would give you coupons, in addition to the reward coupons, that gave discounts on items they knew (I assumed from data collected) you were interested in. You don't get those so much now, so the simple way it operates now is probably easier for them to administer and actually works quite well.

I know Tesco are regarded as the devil incarnate, but I like their quality, range and value.  Not top end but, on the whole taking all three, reasonable.  Shoprite comes nowhere near, IMHO.  They may be locally owned and all that, but their offering across those three criteria does not inspire loyalty.  

Tesco also seem to do much more for the community supporting local charities and have soft plastic recycling facilities, all of which points to a more aware ethos. Of course, they are still there to make a profit, what business isn't?

People always like to say Shoprite pay their tax locally. But last time I saw accounts for them they were basically breaking even... write offs and 'investments' I guess to keep the gross profits down... so the total sum of tax paid over Tesco isn't that much more. 

And what does 'Proudly locally owned' even mean? My car is proudly locally owned... but it's still a bit of a shit tip. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Haha 3