Firm closing

finlo

1 minute ago, 0bserver said:

People always like to say Shoprite pay their tax locally. But last time I saw accounts for them they were basically breaking even... write offs and 'investments' I guess to keep the gross profits down... so the total sum of tax paid over Tesco isn't that much more. 

They do buy a lot more locally, meat, cheese, vegetables, eggs,dairy products,honey & bread which is a plus in my opinion 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, Gladys said:

Agreed.  I watched a family member throw, must have been, 10 eggs in the bin because they were past the UBD.  Bonkers.  Crack it into a cup if you are not sure and sniff. 

Even better is to drop the whole egg  into a  large glass  bowl of water .

If it sinks to the bottom then it's fine .

If its in the middle or so then hard boil the eggs 

If its floating then bin them . 

Edited by mad_manx

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

People always like to say Shoprite pay their tax locally. But last time I saw accounts for them they were basically breaking even... write offs and 'investments' I guess to keep the gross profits down... so the total sum of tax paid over Tesco isn't that much more. 

And what does 'Proudly locally owned' even mean? My car is proudly locally owned... but it's still a bit of a shit tip. 

Tesco pays tax locally. Eddie Teare brought the large retailer tax in. 10%, I think. Then, of course, the payroll taxes and VAT come to the Island.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

They do buy a lot more locally, meat, cheese, vegetables, eggs,dairy products,honey & bread which is a plus in my opinion 

Tesco sell Manx cheese across the UK. 

Tesco shift more units per week in terms of Manx flour and eggs. So it's all kind of superfluous.

19 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Went down to Tesco to take advantage of their beer offer only to be told it applies to mainland UK only

You can always set up an account for delivery and check the prices / offers here .

I never manage to get a delivery  slot but at least I can plan my shopping  before going to the store.  

Great for beer / whisky etc as sometimes there are great offers. 

Edited by mad_manx

18 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

And what does 'Proudly locally owned' even mean? My car is proudly locally owned... but it's still a bit of a shit tip. 

The problem is that they simply don't have the buying power to secure the discounts.  They have linked up with many big suppliers, (Waitrose, Iceland, now Sainsbury) not sure exactly how that works,  but even then they either fade away or don't really offer competitively. 

I suppose, on the plus side, they have lots of stores throughout the island so are accessible, but for most people does that really give them an edge? 

Shame really, but trying to take Tesco and M&S head on is not a fight you would think they could win.  Maybe re-focus to be more of a niche upmarket seller of the more unusual stuff, including local produce. 

Certainly having the downmarket appearance of a discounter with the prices of a premium retailer doesn't really give them a niche. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, woolley said:

NI may be a special case with the single market stuff. I have no experience of Tesco there, so it might be so, but I am unqualified to comment. I have lots of experience of IoM v various parts of the UK. The prices are the same across the board. I don't suspect it, I know it. We even get the same Aldi price matches despite not having an Aldi here, and this matching extends to some of the bread range. If you are hard up enough to want their 39p large sliced loaf, then you can have it here just as you can in the UK. I appreciate the vague possibility that there might be the very odd item I am not aware of that does not conform to the pattern, but why would there be, when the overwhelming majority does?

Not sure what "the Tesco licensing case" is. Do you mean alcohol? Obviously that could differ in Scotland because of the minimum unit pricing legislation. However, it so happens that we have purchased a number of alcohol items both here and in the UK over the past 10 days. Same price. Same offers.

You’re really missing it, Woolley. The single market is wholly irrelevant to both the article and the consumer report as they antedate Brexit. The reports both relate to Britain, not the UK.

The evidence in the Tesco licensing case used Britain and NI comparators, as to general pricing, turn over, and viability without alcohol. Tesco prices in NI were different to GB. Not just alcohol. Nothing to do with Brexit, single markets, or protocols.

You frequently see, in small type on TV and newspaper ads, offer not available in NI or IoM. 

Yes, recently there have been Aldi price matches. On a very limited range. But there are some price differences between IoM & GB and I’ve explained how I check.

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t get the Tesco thing.  M&S and the co-op for us.

M&S have some great value items lately, regularly cheaper than the supermarkets.

Shoprite these days is for if I want to shop quickly and without many other people around.  

If I want to shop quickly then that means self scanning as I go around the store. Rather than having stand in queue waiting to unpack and then repack everything like the olden days.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re really missing it, Woolley. The single market is wholly irrelevant to both the article and the consumer report as they antedate Brexit. The reports both relate to Britain, not the UK.

The evidence in the Tesco licensing case used Britain and NI comparators, as to general pricing, turn over, and viability without alcohol. Tesco prices in NI were different to GB. Not just alcohol. Nothing to do with Brexit, single markets, or protocols.

You frequently see, in small type on TV and newspaper ads, offer not available in NI or IoM. 

Yes, recently there have been Aldi price matches. On a very limited range. But there are some price differences between IoM & GB and I’ve explained how I check.

I don't think I'm missing anything salient. You brought up Northern Ireland. I said I had no experience of Tesco there, so prices may well be different in Northern Ireland. They might be double for all I know (or care). I didn't know what you were talking about with "Tesco licensing case" and, at a glance, neither did Google, hence my casting around for possibilities. But that is neither here nor there to the point I was making, which is that the prices in Tesco IoM are no higher than in Tesco UK.

In an earlier post you mentioned fresh milk (obviously dearer because it's Manx milk, so not like for like) and bread which I know is the same here as there, certainly on the approx 6 types we buy regularly on both sides of the water, and also on the very cheapest loss leaders because I compared them out of interest as recently as the last 10 days.

You may see offers that for whatever reason are not available here. Fair enough, but I can't remember seeing one lately.

Aldi price matches were introduced here at the same time as there - at the start of the pandemic, and they are available on the same range of items here as over there, where the items are sold here. Obviously, we don't have the full range available that a massive store in England would have, but where it is on sale, it's at the same price.

I've explained how I check. I actually walk around the stores with Mrs. W when we happen to be staying in the Isle of Man or the UK. The visits can be just a few days apart, and we compare the prices. Invariably, they are the same. Incidentally, some things (bananas for instance - 78p kilo vs 84p kilo) are cheaper now than they were 5 years ago.

You haven't given us any examples (other then bread which I dispute) of price differentials but, as I said earlier, it is entirely possible that there are a few items that we don't buy which are not the same price. If there are, we haven't noticed them, but yes, it's possible. You say you check by entering different postcodes but the difference is minimal. Have you considered that they could have changed the prices while you were changing your postcode and resubmitting? It's a real time system. Sometimes in the store the price has changed by the time you reach the check out and you will be asked if the new cost is acceptable.