Firm closing

finlo

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Has popping round the supermarket ever been particularly personal in many places? 

You can still say hello to the machine if it  makes you feel better, and shrug awkwardly when you fumble your card into the reader 

Have you not been in Tesco on a Saturday?  Long lost friends family and lovers meet and catch up on the events of the past 20 years,  FFS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Has popping round the supermarket ever been particularly personal in many places? 

You can still say hello to the machine if it  makes you feel better, and shrug awkwardly when you fumble your card into the reader 

card... wow grandad it's about the biometrics. Facial recognition and no doubt an implanted RFI chip (good enough for our pets so why not us) and deducted from your CBDC account. Unless of course you've have exceeded your ESG points limit. Then you'll have to swap your steak for a bug-burger or pay a fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CallMeCurious said:

card... wow grandad it's about the biometrics. Facial recognition and no doubt an implanted RFI chip (good enough for our pets so why not us) and deducted from your CBDC account. Unless of course you've have exceeded your ESG points limit. Then you'll have to swap your steak for a bug-burger or pay a fine. 

Interestingly, Mastercard and VISA are dead set against RFID implants. 

Bad PR. 

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

If it thinks the face is being used fraudulently does it confiscate it as with the card?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Your analogy might make sense if self-scanning had replaced someone doing my shopping for me.

You can opt for them to bring it to you, but it isn’t the same. 

For example, you can’t wander about on a Tuesday evening with bananas in your basket in aisle 5 to find “likeminded friendship”

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Self-scanning (using a handheld scanner as we go around the shop) is the logical extension of self-service. You might as well complain that you no longer have to ask the grocer to get stuff from behind the counter for you. Or that you have to fill your own car with petrol. 

It is more convenient. Thanks to self-scanning I can pack my shopping in the right order as I go around the shop. Rather than having to try to pack it at the checkout. It's much less hassle - since I only have to load the stuff once. Rather than loading it into the trollery, then unloading it and then re loading it all.

Your analogy might make sense if self-scanning had replaced someone doing my shopping for me.

Well I do remember being in my dads car whilst the garage attendant filled it with petrol. Come to think of it my own car being filled with petrol by the lovely couple operating the garage at the corner of Circular Road in the 1980’s.
“ My analogy might make sense if self scanning had replaced someone doing my shopping for me” Like Tesco online shopping delivery service?

Why does it have to be about convenience all the time? Why not take time to have those human interactions? It’s more enriching. We are losing, or have lost so much as a society.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I do remember being in my dads car whilst the garage attendant filled it with petrol. Come to think of it my own car being filled with petrol by the lovely couple operating the garage at the corner of Circular Road in the 1980’s.
“ My analogy might make sense if self scanning had replaced someone doing my shopping for me” Like Tesco online shopping delivery service?

Why does it have to be about convenience all the time? Why not take time to have those human interactions? It’s more enriching. We are losing, or have lost so much as a society.

Accountants

49 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I remember the corner shop at the end of our street where you were served at the counter as the grocer took every item from the shelf, bagged it, maybe cut or sliced it, went out the back or into the cellar for it, then totted everything up with pen and paper and charged you. Throughout the process he would be chatting genially, asking after your welfare, etc.

I remember it, but I wouldn't want to stand in a queue behind all those buggers in Tesco while they all received the same treatment.

• Like 1