Firm closing

finlo

59 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I do t think I’ve ever been in there once. So on that basis I’m not really surprised. 

I went in once when a kid spilled their dinner over me at the food festival and I needed emergency replacement jeans.

I must have stupidly given them my mobile number because I have been spammed with texts ever since, despite blocking at least one number.

On that basis, I will be glad to see the back of them (the jeans were rubbish by the way, and not even that cheap)

15 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

£500 million a year according to this article from July.  The industry claims that people are using them to steal expensive items (lots of tips there for you, Gladys!) but I could help noticing that it ended:

A survey of 2,000 Brits, by Myfavouritevouchercodes.co.uk, found one in three admitted to pinching items using the self-service checkouts in 2022 alone.

The items most commonly stolen are toiletries and hygiene products, fresh produce and baby formula, it said.

Which suggests that if anything the amount is an underestimate and that it's not really just the expensive stuff that is going.

Except you need extra security and monitoring/assistance staff as well.  So the saving may be less than you think.  I suspect lack of staff may be one reason and possibly attracting customers who want a few items and to be quickly in and out.  

TBH Mexico, I think the Supermarket chains that made the decision to have self checkouts would know this better than any of us.  In the UK now the self checkouts outnumber the manned checkouts and they are forever increasing. They still have store detectives and CCTV. They also do regular surveillance checks. They also know who they are giving the Scan and Shop to don't they.

Supermarkets are trialling their own tech solutions in stores with no checkouts at all, and it will be interesting to see which tech takes off.

Whichever it is the option will be rolled out widely in the next few years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60038681.amp

That’s for general household shopping.  Department stores, furniture stores etc are also rolling out tech that will do away with the need for shop assistants or sales people.  Trackers will follow you around the store/showroom and work out what items you are interested in and guide you to them with your phone automatically pulling up product info as you come near to things.  That, plus the ability to immediately and virtually see how the sofa fits and looks in your own home and the option to order and pay there and then with no human interaction will change the way we shop.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Don’t know. I’ve never been in M&Co.  But if it helps I got the last bottle of each at the Wine Cellar on Saturday. Does that count as “firm closing”

I slammed the door shut. Does that count as “firm closing”?

• Haha 1