Firm closing

finlo

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Precisely this. These are problems that the Government have allowed to create. There is such little focus on economic security in Tynwald and Cabinet, it's bonkers.

Economic security isn't about our own bread, milk and meat. Energy security. Employment security.

If they pulled their heads out of their egaming and 'ESPORTS' arses, stopped sending bald prats to South Africa encouraging them to move here and took the Locate Isle of Man focus off HNW's for a while, that'd be a real fucking bonus.

Whatever happened to the 6 Chinese Banks Skelly promised?

CM Cannan will say Government won’t nationalise Ramsey Bakery, but I am quite sure that taxpayers money will be spent. It’s a question of how much and for how long? 

Amadeus put a photo of Tesco bread the other  day and the price of Ramsey Bakery toast sliced which I buy was £1.90 I buy this self same loaf from Shoprite and it is £1.67 or £1.63 something like that unless it has increased in the last week or two.   I cannot see a large profit on bread taking into account the ingredients,labour, cost of production etc and with petrol, electricity, everything in fact I think it has created a perfect storm.   It is a shame I like Ramsey Bakery bread but the whole deal seems to have become unviable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I understand Alf's comments about 'the Government shouldn't be running bakeries'. But this isn't about iced fingers and custard slices.

I do believe that it is the Government's job to ensure a safe, secure and certain supply of essential products.

What this all boils down to really is a massive fucking crisis for our on-Island businesses that traditionally - given their sizes - may struggle to cope with the surges in costs they currently face. Alf and his dipshit in Treasury really need to come up with something magic to ease the blow for essential services and ensure their long-term survival.

I don't support what happens at the dairy i.e. fixed milk prices BUT I've been thinking about what @Amadeus posted in Tesco the other day. Who's to say that Tesco aren't paying 40p/loaf to Ramsey Bakery but they are choosing to charge £1.80/loaf and purposely price the local produce out of their own supplies? I really don't like the milk price fixing, but maybe something really needs to be done here to bring down the cost of a loaf of bloody bread?

I don't know what the solution is there. We can all probably agree that IOM Gov running the show is NOT the right one, however.

We need the Wizard from Harry Potter in the Treasury then, instead we have a two bit magician, who believes in magic money trees. 

1 minute ago, hissingsid said:

Amadeus put a photo of Tesco bread the other  day and the price of Ramsey Bakery toast sliced which I buy was £1.90 I buy this self same loaf from Shoprite and it is £1.67 or £1.63 something like that unless it has increased in the last week or two.   I cannot see a large profit on bread taking into account the ingredients,labour, cost of production etc and with petrol, electricity, everything in fact I think it has created a perfect storm.   It is a shame I like Ramsey Bakery bread but the whole deal seems to have become unviable.

You can’t buy doorstep bread in the UK supermarkets. I think it’s a Manx Ramsey Bakery unique offering.

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The toast sliced loaf I think (red packet) is £1.30 in my local Spar Im pretty sure..

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

We need the Wizard from Harry Potter in the Treasury then, instead we have a two bit magician, who believes in magic money trees. 

Truth is that the best option for Treasury chose not to stand for re-election last time. Alf's been smart putting Howard's Baby Boy in Treasury, because he's clueless. Makes him the perfect yes-man for Alf's program for Gov.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

You think we produce better beer on the Isle of Man than the UK?

If you think Brewdog Punk IPA is better than any Manx beer then you need your taste buds checking. Punk IPA is bloody horrible, tastes and smells like Zoflora.

There's some really good Manx beer about. Kyneen's and Odin are both producing some good stuff. Bushy's too, a pint of Norseman is a damn good lager. I know Okells is Okells but it's decent enough in a pub that looks after it, especially the MPA. 

There's good stuff across too, but its nor bad for an island with 85,000 people.

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Who's to say that Tesco aren't paying 40p/loaf to Ramsey Bakery but they are choosing to charge £1.80/loaf and purposely price the local produce out of their own supplies?

I do wonder about Tesco. A load of White and Healthy is normally about £1.65 everywhere- Spar, Shopshite, EVF, everywhere. In Tesco its £1.80. Without the scale that Warburton produce at, £1.65 for a loaf isn't particularly expensive. Where I lived in the UK, spitting distance from the Warburton bakery, Warburton Toastie used to be £1.40ish a loaf ten years ago, before it became the big loss-leader for the supermarkets.

Ramsey bread isn't fantastic, though I'll miss the white Molenberg, but then no mass-produced bread is. Ramsey's white bread isn't any worse than Warburton or Hovis.

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

If you think Brewdog Punk IPA is better than any Manx beer then you need your taste buds checking. Punk IPA is bloody horrible, tastes and smells like Zoflora.

There's some really good Manx beer about. Kyneen's and Odin are both producing some good stuff. Bushy's too, a pint of Norseman is a damn good lager. I know Okells is Okells but it's decent enough in a pub that looks after it, especially the MPA. 

There's good stuff across too, but its nor bad for an island with 85,000 people.

I do wonder about Tesco. A load of White and Healthy is normally about £1.65 everywhere- Spar, Shopshite, EVF, everywhere. In Tesco its £1.80. Without the scale that Warburton produce at, £1.65 for a loaf isn't particularly expensive. Where I lived in the UK, spitting distance from the Warburton bakery, Warburton Toastie used to be £1.40ish a loaf ten years ago, before it became the big loss-leader for the supermarkets.

Ramsey bread isn't fantastic, though I'll miss the white Molenberg, but then no mass-produced bread is. Ramsey's white bread isn't any worse than Warburton or Hovis.

Yes it is...

13 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Wasn't actually what I said. I compared it to a similar beer, a Manx IPA. It's far superior to that. I don't drink Brewdog mostly because it's not good quality. However there are brewers in the UK knocking out extraordinary IPAs which are significantly better than anything produced here.

Kaneens is ok on a Manx scale, on a UK scale it's below average. Odin again the same. Norseman is not a good lager. Again in Manx terms it's passable at best. Okells is awful, all of it.

I really feel sorry for you if you think this is up there with some of the best available in the UK. That's without considering the amazing beers worldwide. Manx beer is nowhere near the standard.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Wasn't actually what I said. I compared it to a similar beer, a Manx IPA. It's far superior to that. I don't drink Brewdog mostly because it's not good quality. However there are brewers in the UK knocking out extraordinary IPAs which are significantly better than anything produced here.

Kaneens is ok on a Manx scale, on a UK scale it's below average. Odin again the same. Norseman is not a good lager. Again in Manx terms it's passable at best. Okells is awful, all of it.

I really feel sorry for you if you think this is up there with some of the best available in the UK. That's without considering the amazing beers worldwide. Manx beer is nowhere near the standard.

Norseman always gives me heartburn, no idea why.

34 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

We've been through all of this before Sultan. No two people have the same tastes or even expectations. Trying to hammer home your point of view with every post is getting tiresome, again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1