Firm closing

finlo

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Originally the Strand Cinema (37 Strand Street, Douglas IM1 2EF) :

The cinema had been designated a Listed building and debates arose as to its future use. Eventually, it was decided to retain the Italianate facade, but demolish the remainder of the building. This happened in 1998 and a Littlewood’s store was built on the site of the auditorium, retaining the original facade as its entrance.

It didn't stay as a Littlewoods for long as the group collapsed in 2005 and is now a TkMaxx.

Thanks to all who helped. resolved a family 'discussion'. I searched but couldn't find enough to prove it........Thank y'all again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

I seem to  remember there was an Argos there as well?

I don't recall Argos in there but I think it was previously Etams and an amusments before that Barry Nobles?) and before that I think it was Lipton's with an upstairs restaurant/cafe.

Just now, finlo said:

I don't recall Argos in there but I think it was previously Etams and an amusments before that Barry Nobles?) and before that I think it was Lipton's with an upstairs restaurant/cafe.

No, I think Liptons (originally the Maypole) was  where the closed clothes shop (Dorothy Perkins?)  is, next to the also closed Thornton's.

Barry Nobles, I think was further towards Castle Street, around where Offshore Vapes is. 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, I think Liptons (originally the Maypole) was  where the closed clothes shop (Dorothy Perkins?)  is, next to the also closed Thornton's.

Barry Nobles, I think was further towards Castle Street, around where Offshore Vapes is. 

No Barry Nobles was around where Thornton / Waterstones / Mountain Warehouse is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

Didn't he move into the Liptons' store when Liptons moved to Chester Street? I seem to remember walking up the steps into his cafe area?

May have done, I wasn't living here sporadically from 1979, then permanently from 1986 to 2002, so that period is a bit of a black hole.  

14 minutes ago, finlo said:

I think someone sold goods from Argos over herein the late 1990s. Argos catalogues we’re distributed. What went wrong I don't know. Possibly goods didn’t arrive. I was told by a senior manager that Argos would in no circumstances ever have a presence on IoM

Edited by enbee
Added year
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That would agree with Albert.  I thought BN had a place opposite the old Leisure Centre in the mid to late 70s.  Where's Barry when you need him? 

barry nobles was down around opposite woolies ,    there were 2 arcades opposite each other next to the legs of man and another a little further down towards castle street/strand centre

• Thanks 1