Firm closing

finlo

12 hours ago, WTF said:

i always found in the street busy when ever i was up there , shame really it was nice enough innovative or not.

To be fair there are new places opening, there's a new peri-peri sit-in/takeaway now opened in the St Paul's precinct for instance. The problem is that as fast as new places open, other places close, a rapid turnover and they seem to have a short operational lifespan, often only a couple of years.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 4:39 PM, GD4ELI said:

I'm with NatWest, part of the same group and the same software. I can do everything online, seems like your problem is IOM Bank doesn't give a toss, not capitalism.

I'd have to agree with that comment. 40+ years of being an IOM Bank customer means nothing these days.

41 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'd have to agree with that comment. 40+ years of being an IOM Bank customer means nothing these days.

I've been an IOM Bank customer since 1975. Before Xmas, with the rising interest rates, I made an appointment to open a 'new' interest-bearing account into which I planned to transfer some money which was already in an account with them.

As we started to complete the paperwork, the guy mentioned that, because they were so far behind, it would take six to eight weeks to actually open the account and get the money earning interest. He seemed to think this was OK. To  be honest, I lost it a bit, and told him 'This sort of thing is why the IOMB has become a complete laughing stock around the Island.' There was no response.

We walked down the street to another bank, where we also had an account, opened the account and moved the money from IOMB in three days. 

It is really sad to see how a once excellent Manx institution has been dragged into the gutter, and destroyed its own reputation,  by a bunch of spivs and shysters from Scotland and Jersey. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I've been an IOM Bank customer since 1975. Before Xmas, with the rising interest rates, I made an appointment to open a 'new' interest-bearing account into which I planned to transfer some money which was already in an account with them.

As we started to complete the paperwork, the guy mentioned that, because they were so far behind, it would take six to eight weeks to actually open the account and get the money earning interest. He seemed to think this was OK. To  be honest, I lost it a bit, and told him 'This sort of thing is why the IOMB has become a complete laughing stock around the Island.' There was no response.

We walked down the street to another bank, where we also had an account, opened the account and moved the money from IOMB in three days. 

It is really sad to see how a once excellent Manx institution has been dragged into the gutter, and destroyed its own reputation,  by a bunch of spivs and shysters from Scotland and Jersey. 

As i posted earlier I tried to do the same and got the same response. But when I chased up on the call back (yesterday) that I was supposed to recieve (which i was told I should have waited 24 working hours - really is this where we are now), I was told that it would take 6-8 weeks just to receive a call back on this and then an un-specified amount of time to get the account (despite me banking with them) open. Does anyone happen to have the name of the CEO?

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Conrods was popular although not personally my cup of tea (or coffee for that matter) , thing is if he’s calling it quits how many other businesses must be struggling to stay afloat and are being propped up by their owners?

Absolutely, I've never seen it not well used, it was popular during the week as well as the Sunday mornings. If that operation was struggling then how many others are, with nothing like the same patronage?

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what costs have made it unviable.

5 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

. Does anyone happen to have the name of the CEO?

The senior local person is a guy called Stuart Chivers, but I suspect he has very little influence over anything operational.

The CEO of RBSI (of which IOMB is only a trading name) is Oliver Holbourn. I doubt very much that he has ever been to the IOM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Absolutely, I've never seen it not well used, it was popular during the week as well as the Sunday mornings. If that operation was struggling then how many others are, with nothing like the same patronage?

Charging £8 for a coffee most likely.

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

In part aided and abetted by IOMG, and an ineffective CM who doesn’t have the GMP interests at heart. He and others are afraid to say anything for fear of upsetting others. I wonder if Jersey or Guernsey are so afraid, where IOM will roll over meekly.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2112 said:

In part aided and abetted by IOMG, and an ineffective CM who doesn’t have the GMP interests at heart. He and others are afraid to say anything for fear of upsetting others. I wonder if Jersey or Guernsey are so afraid, where IOM will roll over meekly.

Well they’re getting banks & branches closed there at same rate &  similar to UK, today RBC announced closure of Guernsey office in next year with possible loss of 86 jobs 

Edited by Banker

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

I've been an IOM Bank customer since 1975.

Me too #.

When I first left the Island to work I popped in to ask for an overdraft. The next day I received a letter most definitely typed by the bank manager himself (complete with occasional typing errors and correcting fluid) giving me the overdraft and wishing me well for the future. I still have that letter.

You go into the bank these days and you get seen by be-earringed barrow boys looking to fleece ya. My experience anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Having lycra louts occupying the place sharing one Diet Coke between eight of them won’t have helped. Plus the cost of cleaning the windows after they have used them to rest their grubby bikes against.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

I'm astonished. I did the same thing (although from company to personal deposit) just before Christmas. I emailed IOMB on a Monday and asked them to send me the interest rates each day as I was considering moving some money onto a personal deposit. They did this faithfully, as requested, daily from that same day. On the Thursday I decided to go with it and emailed to tell them.

They called me, saying I would have to come down to sign the form, so I moaned a bit about that. Ridiculous in this day and age, etc. etc, but OK, it's security KYC and all that, so it is what it is. This was 11.30am. They said the form would be ready for me to sign at 1pm. As it happened, I was tied up and didn't get to Athol St until 3pm. Lovely and efficient young lady waiting for me had the form in her hand for me to sign at the counter which took 1 minute. She apologised and said that because it was after 2.30pm, the deposit would now be at tomorrow's rate. Turned out to be a bonus because it had gone up a few hundredths. Same young lady actually rang me at 9.30am the following morning to advise me that the deposit was on and the exact interest rate. I received confirmation in the post two days later.

I really can't fault this for service, so I thought I'd give them a shout for the opposite experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AOR said:

Me too #.

When I first left the Island to work I popped in to ask for an overdraft. The next day I received a letter most definitely typed by the bank manager himself (complete with occasional typing errors and correcting fluid) giving me the overdraft and wishing me well for the future. I still have that letter.

You go into the bank these days and you get seen by be-earringed barrow boys looking to fleece ya. My experience anyway.

Not Lloyds in Ramsey ya don't.

• Like 1