Firm closing

finlo

On 1/11/2023 at 11:52 AM, Banker said:

They turn them away all the time if they’re even the slightest suspicion the funds maybe tainted

It might seem that way now, but until very recently the UK Government actively touted the UK as a place for international rich people to invest their money, regardless of how they made it. E.g., the UK’s ‘Golden Visa’ scheme, which was only shut down in February last year, actively encouraged all sorts of dodgy odds and sods to buy their way into the UK, without too many questions being asked. The other day, Suella Braverman pretty much said as much. The main beneficiaries of the ‘Golden Visas’ scheme were wealthy Chinese, Russians and Middle Eastern Royals. … If Qatari politician was able to freely gift King Charles (formerly known as Prince Charles) a suitcase of cash out of ‘kindness’, then it makes it easy to understand how a small number of tyrants came to own some of best parts of the UK’s green and pleasant land.

As I said before under a different subject, when the IOM Company Registry becomes ‘publicly’ available; i.e., more likely open to international scrutiny, there will possibly be a few surprises here too. That said, for the sake of the IOM’s reputation, hopefully by then the most unsavoury characters will have already scurried away from our shores and taken their dodgy fortunes and audit trails with them.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mollag said:

I wonder if the Licensing cost to the Gov was a factor ?

Probably more likely that the turnover through shop during most of year was insufficient to cover costs.

i think the family who operate business also own buildings so can probably rent out for more money. Another coffee or charity shop?

3 hours ago, mollag said:

Its a awful lot of money but I think its more a case of the hoops they had to jump through and the costs of getting containers from China . Increased by many thousands a unit and every year DofE and AG's office seemingly take so long to sort the contract out. One year they had to roll it over because they hadn't drafted it in time. Theres a big shock also  coming this year with the costs of the garnents . Days have well and truly gone of 2 T shirts for £20 or £22 . Plain t shirt prices have gone up greatly and with the cost of printing be lucky to get anything under £15 plus a shirt. Incidently most of the T shirts actually were printed in recent years in the UK. Garments though from Asia and the likes .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

?Probably more likely that the turnover through shop during most of year was insufficient to cover costs.

i think the family who operate business also own buildings so can probably rent out for more money. Another coffee or charity shop?

Roy Wilson ?

7 hours ago, mollag said:

I think it's more likely that the reason is that no one hardly ever went in and bought anything. Apart from about 2 weeks per year.

I have often walked past and wondered how it ever made anything. 

Bit sad to see it go still though. I wonder if there will be a sale. 

9 hours ago, code99 said:

If Qatari politician was able to freely gift King Charles (formerly known as Prince Charles) a suitcase of cash out of ‘kindness’, then it makes it easy to understand how a small number of tyrants came to own some of best parts of the UK’s green and pleasant land.

I think it was actually in a carrier bag. Although, thankfully, he had someone on hand to carry it onto the plane for him.

• Like 1