Firm closing

finlo

55 minutes ago, Banker said:

Lots of people came over with carrier bags of cash in 70s/early 80s

There’s nothing to stop you bringing bags of cash if you can prove the source. When I worked in yachting the crew often would get many thousands accumulated in cash from tips on big charters. I used to write them letters of legitimacy for their source of funds so they could bring it home and bank it. So long as you can prove the source, carrying cash isn’t illegal or a problem. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

There’s nothing to stop you bringing bags of cash if you can prove the source. When I worked in yachting the crew often would get many thousands accumulated in cash from tips on big charters. I used to write them letters of legitimacy for their source of funds so they could bring it home and bank it. So long as you can prove the source, carrying cash isn’t illegal or a problem. 

But in the old days they didn’t give a source other than earnings!!! Basically cash taking’s not declared to taxman!

2 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

How did you prove they were tips 

Just been reading Conor's bit in the Indy re. the closure of that side of his business, not a great deal more than has already been released in other media really, just the repeated references to "operational costs" without any further detail.

It's a great shame that a business which ostensibly appears to be so well-supported by the public has had to take the decision to close because that support has been exceeded by those costs, whatever they may be. It even hosted sold-out evening functions on occasion.

Those operational costs must be of some magnitude or something else is anticipated perhaps that has caused the plug to be pulled.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just been reading Conor's bit in the Indy re. the closure of that side of his business, not a great deal more than has already been released in other media really, just the repeated references to "operational costs" without any further detail.

It's a great shame that a business which ostensibly appears to be so well-supported by the public has had to take the decision to close because that support has been exceeded by those costs, whatever they may be. It even hosted sold-out evening functions on occasion.

Those operational costs must be of some magnitude or something else is anticipated perhaps that has caused the plug to be pulled.

Wait till the MUA significantly ramp up costs come April!

17 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

He was never there so the "costs" related to staff and lack of discipline in ordering (continually buying things from Co-op rather than a wholesaler as running out of stuff). 

The machinery was also prone to continually breaking. 

I'd also guess his rent would have increased now he's 5 years in. 

It was badly run. Someone experienced could turn it around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2