Firm closing

finlo

How many of us use online banking? are we part of the 'problem'?

even in business the small amount of cash can be mopped up in a few small ac payments.

we may not have asked for this situation but we have been part of the acceptance of these closures???

7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

How many of us use online banking? are we part of the 'problem'?

even in business the small amount of cash can be mopped up in a few small ac payments.

we may not have asked for this situation but we have been part of the acceptance of these closures???

Your right but its very hard not to as I've found. I'm with IOM Bank and you've had to embrace it to get any sort of service sadly. And believe me I'm old school and miss the branch interaction and service.

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Your right but its very hard not to as I've found. I'm with IOM Bank and you've had to embrace it to get any sort of service sadly. And believe me I'm old school and miss the branch interaction and service.

Me too. But my 22 year old granddaughter has hardly set foot in a bank. Times are a changing as Bob said 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Me too. But my 22 year old granddaughter has hardly set foot in a bank. Times are a changing as Bob said 

Yes it will be big talking point in many years to come when those that remember about how you went into your local branch and manager down to the counter staff would be on first name terms with you. And the young generation would listen and  look incredulous as to what the hell are you talking about    .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Rumour has it that Barclays in Ramsey is next on the hit list.

If it does with HSBC going too, that'll be only 2 ATMs left in the town. Even with four presently there's often one empty or "down", particularly at weekends or busy periods through the year. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If it does with HSBC going too, that'll be only 2 ATMs left in the town. Even with four presently there's often one empty or "down", particularly at weekends or busy periods through the year. 

There is less and less reason to actually use cash. Even cards are starting to be something we use less - perhaps only for larger amounts - now that we can pay with our phones.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, genericUserName said:

There is less and less reason to actually use cash. Even cards are starting to be something we use less - perhaps only for larger amounts - now that we can pay with our phones.

Yes.. After covid I think I've taken cash out maybe twice or thrice.  

With Google/ apple pay even large amounts can be paid with my phone and the limit is set by the retailer 

For example the tesco limit is £250 

This is much higher than the contactless limit as the device has to be unlocked before the transaction .. So risk is less compared to someone using a stolen / lost card ..

8 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Just back from Sweden and Norway. I took no kroner with me (very weird travelling cashless). Only needed it twice (a coin for a locker, and a local bus). Only actual cash used on trip was a euro note for walking tour in Stockholm where the guide still liked the cash economy (no surprise). Was interesting insight into what is coming fast everywhere.

• Like 1

I understand that relying on cashless payment has its dangers and I come from the generation where cashless meant using a Postal Order, but I never carry cash these days and use my phone and occasionally my card. It’s just more convenient. The day I discovered that I no longer needed to visit the HSBC branch in Ramsey to deposit a cheque (yes, somebody still writes them) was the last time I visited it. No doubt like many others… 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Yes it will be big talking point in many years to come when those that remember about how you went into your local branch and manager down to the counter staff would be on first name terms with you. And the young generation would listen and  look incredulous as to what the hell are you talking about    .

I’m definitely not part of the young generation but the only time I’ve set foot in a a bank since my uni days is to deposit money from stuff I’ve sold. It’s a shame but it’s been coming a long time.