Firm closing

finlo

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I spend less money if I use cash than with my card, I budget better, think about my purchases more. Never set the phone thing up cos the very idea makes me sick.

Depends on how you set your cards up

I pay all my cards off in full every month .

The cashback / points I get  pays for hotels / flights etc 

There are cards that you can load from your bank that give upto 10% cashback in crypto that you can either keep as crypto or use to top up card again / send back to bank. 

Agree that it won't work for everyone but has been working very well for me over the years.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, C Montgomery Burns said:

As yet the only use I’ve found for my Love IOM card was scraping the ice off my windscreen with it last week. 

Rather similar to my FINEST.IM card which hasn't yet (and probably never will be) used. My one attempt to get discount for a group of paddleboarders was fruitless as it transpired that all individual participants needed a card and not just the person paying the bill. Not shown in their advertisement and resulted in their loss of a group booking. 

• Like 1

I use the bank to pay in cheques from Premium Bonds. Great to get them in the post rather than just have them paid straight in without knowing.

Also like to save up loose change and pay it in in these little bags. We use the change before that to play poker with grandchildren. 

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Lose you wallet with a tenner in it - no problem. Go home, get your cheque book, go to local bank, get more tenners.

Lose your smart phone....

Smartphone has to be unlocked for it to be used for contactless transactions . 

I can wipe my phone  remotely if I lose it  ( it's encrypted anyway) 

For me my phone is more secure than carrying   cash or my card .

Cash can obviously be used by someone who gets it and card can be used by someone for X number of times (if they are stay  the contactless limit) till they are asked to enter a PIN..

NFC based payment methods like Google pay use a virtual card number for transactions adding  another layer of security..

Edited by mad_manx

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

For me my phone is more secure than carrying   cash or my card .

What are you going to do if you have no cash? It will be the age-old "Can you lend me a fiver, I'm expecting a cheque smartphone in the post". Except at weekends or if the aircraft is broken.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What are you going to do if you have no cash? It will be the age-old "Can you lend me a fiver, I'm expecting a cheque smartphone in the post". Except at weekends or if the aircraft is broken.

Same as losing a wallet with cash/ cards .. what would you do? 

And why do you have to wait for the post for  a new smartphone ?  

Plenty of options on the  island to buy another one on the same day  (unless you are very fussy about a particular one )and do not mind paying  the IOM surcharge;-)

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I always keep a £20 note tucked in my car sun visor.

This will get you out of most problems.

If you need a lot more, in an emergency, there is something wrong with the way you access your funds.

Agree..  I don't see a reason for any more than that. 

I  keep  a few pound coins and maybe a fiver or a tenner so that the small independents don't get shafted with card  transaction fees if I pay with a card/ phone for small transactions.

I haven't tried it in the IOM but most larger stores in the UK  will give cashback at the till if you need cash ( don't even need a card and can even do it contactiess / Google pay ) 

Stores can get rid of cash and you don't need to go to the cash machine ..

Has anyone tried this in the IOM ? In the UK M&S and Tesco definitely do it..I don't know if the IOM branches do this.

Might be helpful for those who want access to some cash if cash machines are not available nearby.

Edited by mad_manx