Firm closing

finlo

Just now, Banker said:

Totally correct, unfortunately a lot just want cheapest they can get no matter the quality! 
you also get idiots like Offshore Manc & JackWhite actively slagging off local products.

not just them to be fair. Whenever the subject of buying local pops up in any thread, you get the usual shouts of can't get it local so have to buy online. If people stopped buying online and shopped local then maybe the shops would be happier carrying more stock

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Totally correct, unfortunately a lot just want cheapest they can get no matter the quality! 
you also get idiots like Offshore Manc & JackWhite actively slagging off local products.

You contradict yourself here.

I'm happy to pay a premium for a quality product. I don't see any 'quality' products here. What we have is, at best, comparable quality to cheap stuff. When you've got that and the local products is 3 times as expensive, it's a no brainer.

Again mostly everything here is done half arsed and it shows.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

CM Cannan is to make a statement to the House of Keys tomorrow on energy & inflation - may be some questions from members

Guess the fact that the two Ramsey MHKs are in government perhaps explains why there is no additional emergency agenda

This may have already been said but I CBA scrolling back through this thread: Tim Johnston is asking Cannan an urgent question on Ramsey Bakery tomorrow according to Moorhouse on Facebook.

18 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This may have already been said but I CBA scrolling back through this thread: Tim Johnston is asking Cannan an urgent question on Ramsey Bakery tomorrow according to Moorhouse on Facebook.

He’s asking about food security etc

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bakery-loss-will-be-big-hit-on-small-community-says-mhk/

Clare Barber has said they’ve not spoken to RB since before last election!

1 minute ago, Banker said:

He’s asking about food security etc

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/bakery-loss-will-be-big-hit-on-small-community-says-mhk/

Clare Barber has said they’ve not spoken to RB since before last election!

The election was only September. Why would you expect the Government to contact a private business at all? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The election was only September. Why would you expect the Government to contact a private business at all? 

Agree , to me its just a natural progression of a firms owners taking it as far as they can , or want , and looking at many issues like upgrading of equipment and working out the finances. And what they would gain and saying thats it.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Given the connections between RB, the Mill and the farmers I'm amazed that this situation hasn't been all over Govt's radar. For the sake of their own interests (the Mill) and "preferred" groups (the farmers), even if not the Manx consumers.

Either they're trying to be at "arm's length" or they've been asleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a tragedy for the bakery and their employees. It's also an opportunity for someone. Alf is absolutely right, the Government's job is not baking bread, but if a competitor moved into the niche and managed to put together a different business model that didn't have the same stale operational problems as Ramsey Bakery, then there is a market waiting for them. If they needed new business support from Government, no doubt things would happen.  

I think it sounds more like the business model was vulnerable to an increase in fuel and transportation costs. Anyone stepping in to the niche would need new thinking, as simply replicating the same business model would end in the same result. As a result of the eco-bollocks (as you put it) a lot of thinking has happened in the bakery space regarding energy-saving technology, which would reduce long-term energy costs for a new entrant.         

2 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I think it sounds more like the business model was vulnerable to an increase in fuel and transportation costs. Anyone stepping in to the niche would need new thinking, as simply replicating the same business model would end in the same result. As a result of the eco-bollocks (as you put it) a lot of thinking has happened in the bakery space regarding energy-saving technology, which would reduce long-term energy costs for a new entrant.         

A man down the Pub told me Mrs Duncan has had enough and she wont hand over the firm to the children