Firm closing

finlo

12 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

still take £50 notes on holiday with me as you get better rate for changing into local currency

You'll get a better rate by keeping an eye on the the exchange rates and topping up your $ or € balances when the rates are favourable.

Some cards now also give you money market rates (or close).

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

It would be great to see cash phased out completely. The IOM govt should implement a no-cash rule in shops, catering etc. The amount which goes undeclared during TT week is likely significant. Which is an issue given that the tax-payer basically funds this + all of the associated costs, road works, emergency services, working days lost etc etc

And once there is no cash the banks have you by the  balls  and can charge the earth for their services , and you must remember there  are still people out there in the local community who do not have bank accounts ,or are capable  ,or have the means to do on line banking ,  I hope cash will be here for many years to come !

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

It would be great to see cash phased out completely. The IOM govt should implement a no-cash rule in shops, catering etc. The amount which goes undeclared during TT week is likely significant. Which is an issue given that the tax-payer basically funds this + all of the associated costs, road works, emergency services, working days lost etc etc

Banks have enough control over your money as it is. As far as I’m concerned, cash is still king

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, woolley said:

Like all other regulations it would thwart the little guy while the big dicks carry on regardless. "Taxes are for little people."

Nadhim Zahawi says that too...

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I prefer to write cheques for my expenditure whenever I can ( which is not often, some places look at you as if you are some sort of alien when you proffer a cheque even where there is no sign saying “cheques not accepted”)

The world has gone mad

Not written one for 10 years when the costs became astronomical and electronic banking was offered for a next to nothing monthly fee with free transactions in and out.

53 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I prefer to write cheques for my expenditure whenever I can ( which is not often, some places look at you as if you are some sort of alien when you proffer a cheque even where there is no sign saying “cheques not accepted”)

The world has gone mad

I still prefer to write cheques and also use cash. 

As for internet banking I don't trust it!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 7:52 PM, Non-Believer said:

Just been reading Conor's bit in the Indy re. the closure of that side of his business, not a great deal more than has already been released in other media really, just the repeated references to "operational costs" without any further detail.

It's a great shame that a business which ostensibly appears to be so well-supported by the public has had to take the decision to close because that support has been exceeded by those costs, whatever they may be. It even hosted sold-out evening functions on occasion.

Those operational costs must be of some magnitude or something else is anticipated perhaps that has caused the plug to be pulled.

Hmmm. Interesting snippet heard today, purportedly from the man himself.

50%, 5 year Govt grant for startup business due to expire so his backers have decided to call it a day. Only gossip mind...

1 hour ago, Major Rushen said:

I see the gym in Castletown is open under a new name.

Speaking of Castletown I see a concrete base has been laid to the car park, South of, and adjacent to the old Grammar school. It seems it's for a fast food hut of some description. Any idea what's going there ?

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

Speaking of Castletown I see a concrete base has been laid to the car park, South of, and adjacent to the old Grammar school. It seems it's for a fast food hut of some description. Any idea what's going there ?

" It seems it's for a fast food hut of some description"

They had plans a few years ago for this, and the wrap shack that is outside the old fire station was there a bit last summer.

• Like 1