Firm closing

finlo

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We have different tastes. 

Honestly, if there is nowhere in Ramsey that caters to your tastes then they must be pretty specific and unique?

Do you mind sharing somewhere on island that you would spend your hard earned in for lunch or dinner as I am struggling to think of much that isn’t catered for in the list above.

Just now, Asthehills said:

Honestly, if there is nowhere in Ramsey that caters to your tastes then they must be pretty specific and unique?

Do you mind sharing somewhere on island that you would spend your hard earned in for lunch or dinner as I am struggling to think of much that isn’t catered for in the list above.

A decent traditional restaurant. Yes the Asian fusion that is where Jean pierres was is ok, if you want that. 

But the choice is limited compared to Douglas. 

I'll try the harbour bistro this summer as that sounds encouraging. Not tried the other place either to be fair. Couldn't get in October as booked up.

Good stuff and the mitre are pretty dire, or they were when we went last. 

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Coast. Wine down. Flavours. Enzo's. Lexperience. Mrs yangs. Just pizza and pasta. 

All superior to anything in Ramsey even though some of them are not fantastic. IMO of course. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

A decent traditional restaurant. Yes the Asian fusion that is where Jean pierres was is ok, if you want that. 

But the choice is limited compared to Douglas. 

I'll try the harbour bistro this summer as that sounds encouraging. Not tried the other place either to be fair. Couldn't get in October as booked up.

Good stuff and the mitre are pretty dire, or they were when we went last. 

Fair enough.  The fact that The Other Place was booked in October probably gives a clue as to how good it is.

Harbour Views is really very good.  You won’t be disappointed 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We have different tastes. 

I’m afraid if you can’t appreciate the fare on offer at Harbour View Bistro then you have no taste.

I am struggling to think of anywhere else that comes near ( that said we rarely venture down south so I’ll concede there may be somewhere there that I don’t know about.

There are a  few decent restaurants in Douglas but even they don’t come up to the standard of HVB

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m afraid if you can’t appreciate the fare on offer at Harbour View Bistro then you have no taste.

I am struggling to think of anywhere else that comes near ( that said we rarely venture down south so I’ll concede there may be somewhere there that I don’t know about.

There are a  few decent restaurants in Douglas but even they don’t come up to the standard of HVB

I went there (Harbour View Bistro) when on the island a couple of months ago and it was to be brutally honest, the best food I have ever had on the rock inc' all the so called expensive places.

As I have many times said, the island has a problem with decent Restaurants.

There is not enough proper "Wealth" among the residents.

There may be a few multi, millionaires and the like but your general decent earner - Middle Class Types - do not earn enough to support really good eating establishments.

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ramsey's problems do not arise from its businesses, eateries or otherwise. Ramsey's problems arise from its appearance. Shabby; unkempt; run down and decaying, broken concrete, all in both public and private infrastructure and green matters. Too many decaying, weed-infested, long-term demolition sites.

Some of the roads, pavements and their markings in the town are a disgrace, Parliament Square (part of the TT course, amazingly) resembles a road junction in a third world country. I've seen riders last year almost lose control on the road defects on the corner by the Swan. These things are the first thing that unconsciously catch the eye. DOI need to realise that life also exists north of a line drawn between Peel and Laxey.

Things need painting and smartening up, both Commissioners and private properties, wash some walls too. Make it look like people care and have some pride, RTC should be taking the lead and kicking some arse too, where applicable.

While they're at it, the Commissioners need to be told that there's more to the Town areas than the Mooragh Park and the Courthouse grounds. Coronation Park looks like a fucking jungle with 8ft briars spreading out of uncut shrubs and bushes it's a wonder a kid hasn't had an eye out.

Get some hedges cut and weeds sprayed or pulled, this "wild look" is just an excuse not to be bothered. And teach the Commissioners workforce how to leave an area looking respectable after they've finished, that would help.

Ratepayer rant over.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Asthehills said:

What do you think of the new Mural on the florist?

The problem with that florists IMO is that they seldom have many actual flowers. Which is understandable in some ways given that they probably don't get enough business to keep much in stock without it quickly being past its best. 

Florists don't really work outside of cities IMO. And even then good ones are rare. 

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Loved Jean Pierres. But thats long gone.

I thought that place was massively over rated. It was a horrible environment - who has carpet in a restaurant ffs? And the food would often sit for far too long under hot lights before being bought to the table. The lighting was horrible too.

And they couldn't even get rare steak right. Which is something that French restaurants seldom get wrong.