Firm closing

finlo

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The accountants may have advised them that there was no way the business could turn a profit in the present climate with more pain to come.    Accountants control all aspects of life they rule the world.

Accountants should only ever be advisers, as you said, however their advice should not mean that they run the company, they are obviously risk adverse. In business risks need to be taken

It may be fine to take risk on when there is a short term problem but at the moment with costs rising on every side and there is no light at the end of the tunnel risk is not a viable option. The people involved have worked long and hard for many years and they may just want to retire and enjoy life I would not imagine they will have a problem selling the land so it is their prerogative to close down the business and reap the rewards of all their efforts.

• Like 2

This is what amazes me.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/food-minister-surprised-by-ramsey-bakery-closure/

The Food Minister says neither she nor her officers have had discussions with Ramsey Bakery since last year's election.

The largest customer of the flour mill. Our largest producer of baked goods and not a single communication from the food minister or her officers in what, 6 months? Abysmal.

This highlights a larger problem historically with the Isle of Man. Officers claiming to be on the pulse and always caught by surprises they haven't been told about e.g. Pokerstars cutting jobs.

Newsflash. It's your fucking jobs to know what's going on.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

This is what amazes me.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/food-minister-surprised-by-ramsey-bakery-closure/

The Food Minister says neither she nor her officers have had discussions with Ramsey Bakery since last year's election.

The largest customer of the flour mill. Our largest producer of baked goods and not a single communication from the food minister or her officers in what, 6 months? Abysmal.

This highlights a larger problem historically with the Isle of Man. Officers claiming to be on the pulse and always caught by surprises they haven't been told about e.g. Pokerstars cutting jobs.

Newsflash. It's your fucking jobs to know what's going on.

Not even to order some pie's?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Makes you wonder who, if anybody, they did contact. Perhaps proactivity just isn't Clare's thing, not when there's Facebook-based virtue signalling and candlelit vigils to be organised instead..

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Your concern may be misplaced. AFAIK there had been no intimation of this prior to it going out on social media on Saturday evening. Blame the company, not the government.

I naively expect Government to be pro-actively discussing the economy, food security, gas supply etc with businesses, and to have some intimation, not necessarily detail, of the direction of travel for key businesses. I now note that the DEFA Minister has apparently said that her department hasn’t spoken with RB since the election. Government must struggle to prepare contingency plans for a range of key risks, food supply, gas supply etc if nobody in Government seemingly talks to businesses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manx Resident said:

I naively expect Government to be pro-actively discussing the economy, food security, gas supply etc with businesses, and to have some intimation, not necessarily detail, of the direction of travel for key businesses. I now note that the DEFA Minister has apparently said that her department hasn’t spoken with RB since the election. Government must struggle to prepare contingency plans for a range of key risks, food supply, gas supply etc if nobody in Government seemingly talks to businesses.

Too busy posing for photo opportunities.

4 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

I read an article the other day about Finland and how it prepares for potentially going to war and being invaded.

Every 3 months they consult key parties in the economy, food produce, banks, you name it. They run through scenarios and preparedness. I'll see if I can find the link somewhere.

As I said above, @Stu Peters can defend the Fat Barber as much as he wants. This is abysmal.

'They didn't tell us!! Wa wa wa.'

Found the article - https://www.ft.com/content/c5e376f9-7351-40d3-b058-1873b2ef1924

Edited by NoTailT

5 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Be interesting to see what Covid assistance they received , if any , and how much a part did that play in the decision. Now of course any help is stopped.

Why would they have received assistance? Genuine question, would they be within the industries offered assistance? I can't remember what the criteria for assistance was.  They were still operating throughout the pandemic. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Why would they have received assistance? Genuine question, would they be within the industries offered assistance? I can't remember what the criteria for assistance was.  They were still operating throughout the pandemic. 

Criteria was revenue has to have been hit by COVID and can you demonstrate revenue is at 80% or less than the financial year prior.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If income falls below a % figure you qualify. Their summer income would have drastically reduced . Be surprised if they hadnt had help. 

Edited by Numbnuts