Firm closing

finlo

Is it truly a 'Deli', does it sell cheeses, charcuterie and anti pasta type foods? Is it just Tea blends and slightly unusual products?

Actually, the Bulgarian shop next door does the fresh products and deserves the custom.

Just questioning the 'Deli' title.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is it truly a 'Deli', does it sell cheeses, charcuterie and anti pasta type foods? Is it just Tea blends and slightly unusual products?

Actually, the Bulgarian shop next door does the fresh products and deserves the custom.

The Bulgarian shop has good and interesting stock. But it’s pricey. I occasionally buy Lutenitsa there. They stock a number of brands. They’re all about 5x what they’d cost in Bulgaria and double the cost in a BG shop in Liverpool.  I know there is a long supply chain and they don’t have economy of scale.

My favourite brand is Deroni, which uses a three legs symbol as part of its branding.

235E2BE8-E20D-43D7-BF0A-992A8ED98DA9.jpeg

27DEF292-66FE-4569-A8F2-AE0D779C1E1B.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kopek said:

You mean this sort of stuff? Plus coffee, cakes, chutney, jams?

C5E04F6B-945C-4EE2-B5D3-ECEEA30E0885.jpeg

9DE20F27-1F42-42CA-A98F-7DC1468EC231.jpeg

AD095194-C0F3-4D3E-A0E3-853CA6D01879.jpeg

EDF2B2C3-E7F0-4254-ADE9-C727036EE304.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Been there once or twice - most expensive place on the island for white goods I found.

When I lived there it was the place to go, in spite of the interweb.

Really good service and proper delivery/ fitting and taking the old appliance away.

Like many things these days they are "improved" but in reality just get a lot more sh1t.

Try asking Amazon to fit your dishwasher or take the old one away...................

The rush to the bottom of selling prices for things like white goods has always perplexed me.

45 years ago I remember my mother taking out a loan to buy a "cheap, poor make"  £350.00 washing machine and now £350.00 will buy you a half decent one. What has happened?

Child labour in 3rd world countries to make us lot in the 1st world able to afford an iPhone??

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Needs a proper cheese counter

Ahhh. Remember the days when PE shoprite had its big revamp. Proper deli counter. Great hams and cheeses galore. Needless to say it lasted barely 6 months as the locals prefer shit food than tasty food. 

49 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Pascoes is closing

The building they’re in is literally falling down I was in there just before Xmas and it stank of damp in the showroom. It’s probably not worth making the investment at this part of the cycle and I’d imagine the owner must be close to retirement anyway so likely nothing more than it’s time to shut up shop. 

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

45 years ago I remember my mother taking out a loan to buy a "cheap, poor make"  £350.00 washing machine and now £350.00 will buy you a half decent one. What has happened?

Child labour in 3rd world countries to make us lot in the 1st world able to afford an iPhone??

I doubt that child labour is an issue in any of the countries where white goods sold in Britain are manufactured. ie. Poland, Italy and the UK.

The previous generation of white goods from before the new legislation is worth avoiding. The new legislation is about goods being more energy efficient, much longer lasting and more repairable - ending built-in obsolescence etc.

People often whine about government regulation especially where there is an environmental angle. But the new rules (which sensibly mirror EU legislation) are very much about giving the consumer a much better deal.

Electrical appliances to be cheaper to run and last longer with new standards - gov.uk

Edited by genericUserName